unlagered lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my pilsner brewed with saflager s04 is ready for lagering. Problem is. I have no where to lager it. A friends fridge I was going to put the beer in to lager is not working so I have no where to lager and don;t have the time/space to buy my own.

Options? How will this taste if I just filter and keg this? Taste seems a bit odd but I can't tell if thats just some suspended lager yeast or?? I haven't brewed beer using real lager yeast in a several years.

In the winter I can lager in the garage . Thats no longer an option. :)

This is a 10g batch. I could transfer to two kegs and place one in my danby keggorator (room for 2 kegs) to lager, and then put my hefe in there when it's ready to be tapped.

You should let it mature for a few weeks or a month. It will improve tremendosly even at the room temperature. Perhaps instead of kegging it you could bottle in to big soda bottles and use your regular fridge.

I had similar situation with my Vienna lager. My beer fridge was full with next batch of fermenting lager so I put first one in keg and kept the keg in garage at 50-60 for a few month. It cleared and developed pretty nice taste. Only problem it's too warm to drink it at 60-65F.

How about the old water-bath-with-some-frozen-liter-bottles trick? Get a rubbermaid tub, fill it with water, swap in some bottles of ice once or twice a day. Won't be a true lager, but you ought to be able to at least keep it in the low- to mid-50°s.

Back