Wyeast London ESB Yeast - Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
I currently have an ESB sitting in Primary right now. I used Wyest London ESB 1968 as my yeast.

I'm reading through the details of the yeast and noticed this:

Diacetyl production is noticeable and a thorough rest is necessary. Yeast traps trub easily and autolysis during storage is accelerated.

To me this seems a bit contradictory. It's basically saying to leave it in order to avoid diacetyl, but then says that during this time autolysis could come on quickly?

Can someone decipher this for someone with only 3 batches under their belt?

From what I hear, autolysis is not as big a problem as we think, and dosen't set in for quite a while. I'd say you're safe to leave it in primary for several weeks to a couple of months. I'm sure someone will chime in soon with better info, though.

Every time I've used that yeast, I've fermented right about 64-66 and have never needed a diacetyl rest. I normally ferment for 10-14 days in primary... Take a sample and see if you need to do one.

The amount of time it would take to clean up diacetyl is way way less than the amount of time it would take to start autolysing. An extra week on the yeast after fermentation would be plenty and more for it to clean up any diacetyl. It would take several months to see autolysis.

Any advantages to using a secondary on this one? I've got a new 5-gallon glass carboy and I'm itching to use it.

Back