Sweet Texas Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas_Brew

Reaction score
I just started this one today!

4 gallons apple juice
24 oz (2 cups) honey
6 oz Grandmas molasses
1 packet of Danstar Munich yeast
3 cinnamon sticks (in secondary) (in 2 weeks)
prime with 4 oz of sugar (in 4 weeks)

I warmed about a half gallon of apple juice in a vision ware pot and added the honey and molasses at around 90 to 100 degrees stirred it and pored it into the carboy and topped it off with apple juice and pitched the yeast
2081-sweet-texas-apple-cider.jpg

About 20 hours in the primary

2383-sweet-cider-2.jpg

24 hours in the secondary I threw 1 large cinnamon stick in.Ill be priming and bottling in 2 weeks

THIS sounds awesome!! Let me know how this turns out. Might be my perfect use for the packet of Danstar Munich yeast hat I have here.

let me know how yours turns out! ill post tasting notes in about 3 weeks:mug: I have got my idea from many recipes but none was exactly the same so i cant wait to taste it:ban:

Whoa, you put your carboy next to a computer (and your cat)?
I'd be concerned with the risk of a potential blowoff of the airlock and getting scuzz on the computer.

Your recipe sounds tasty though! Let us know.

I also made something very similar to this. I used 5 gallons of apple juice, 9 oz's of molasses, 32 oz's of honey. I transfered it over to the secondary last weekend, and added 5 cinnamon sticks, and 1 vanilla bean. Just tasted it tonight, and its abit too dry for me. Almost like a apple wine. has a light cinnamon taste, and a definate apple ofter taste. OG was 1.060, FG is 1.005. Im going to let it set for another week, then back sweeten it with splenda, and bottle it.

I'll have to go by Sam's later and pick up a case of apple juice and give it a try.

Is there an risk of infection from secondary additions like the cinnamon sticks?

I tasted the wort when I transferred to the secondary and I think I tasted the best thin. it had a smoother taste thin. now its more of a strong wine like taste which is still good for me. perhaps ill just let it set in the primary 1 week and secondary 1 week next time and the cinnamon taste didn't come through I used 1 large stick about 5" long .5" diameter. next time Ill use 2 or none at all

Sounds excellent... was thinking about doing something with molasses... did you get gravity readings?

I went to the gerauge and dusted off a bottle of this and chilled it today. Im drinking it now its not bad but I have since found that im not a cider guy. Its not sweet and I would suggest to leave the molasses out and using a different yeast the next cider I do if I do one will be edworts afelwien. Cheers guys

Are you aging beer in a garage, in Houston? You might be having some temperature issues...

Back