Onion/Garlic flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leubega

Reaction score
I've been picking up quite a few IIPAs recently (notably Stone Enjoy by and RuinTen) and there's been a huge smack of onion and garlic right off the bat. normally I love me some garlic in my food but some of these have been a little too overwhleming. Some have been pointing to Summit overload as a cause and I just can't seem to place it. Any ideas?

Summit hops are probably the cause. Tastes like a six month old bag of decayed onions.

BigEd said:
Summit hops are probably the cause. Tastes like a six month old bag of decayed onions.

I get the onion only with late additions of summit hops. I think summit is a pretty decent bittering hop.

Hit or miss with Summit with me. A Google search will lead you to the theory that different farms grow Summit. Some of the farms give a nice bittering hop...and some give the onion taste. Explained to me my "hit or miss" dilemma.

RuinTen is all centennial like Ruination but they added Citra to the dry hop

edit: guess they also use some columbus

My 2012 Columbus smell very Allium-like (Garlic-onion).
I was quite surprised to the point of wondering if my supplier mixed them up with Summits.

Back