Don't Open Your E-mail on Feb. 3rd?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lubbock Brew

Reaction score
Hey guys, have any of you heard of this huge virus that is supposed to go out on the 3rd of each month starting tomorrow? I got a call from my dad and from my tech guy at school telling me not to open my e-mail folder at all today (Feb. 3)...

Just wanted to ask about it and see if any of you drunks heard of this at all?

Hmm....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/02/kama_sutra_final_warning/

Looks to me like if you haven't recieved any spam like the ones listed in the article linked above, you are OK.

I haven't, but I'll make sure my AV signature file is up-to-date, anyway.

Only 35 minutes until those of you on the east coast find out. :D

~Edit....oops, thought I read that it would activate at 3AM on the third.

FYI: it actually has nothing to do with opening your mail on the 3rd. The virus has been spreading and propagating for weeks already, and you could already be infected. The virus just happens to drop its payload on the 3rd of Feb (as well as the 3rd of every month thereafter.)

-walker

Guess this is a real test of Bluebotte's spam filters, Firefox and linux. Somehow, I don't think I'll have a problem. I've got a wintel system, but that's firewalled to the point of being unusable, as well as running Firefox and having IE disabled.

Yeah, techies at my work said something about it. They scanned all PC's yesterday to make sure nobody already had it . . . didn't say anything about not opening our email though.

AHU

I've only seen one report of widespread infection and that was in Italy.

By the way, catfish, in the mid-80's Macs were the main target of viruses and malware. When I worked Space Station, 95% of my time was spent cleaning up Macs and trying to get users to stop putting junk on their systems. I suspect the difficulties of keeping the systems clean contributed to the decline of Apple's corporate presense.

david_42 said:
By the way, catfish, in the mid-80's Macs were the main target of viruses and malware. When I worked Space Station, 95% of my time was spent cleaning up Macs and trying to get users to stop putting junk on their systems. I suspect the difficulties of keeping the systems clean contributed to the decline of Apple's corporate presense.

Yep, hackers hit what is popular... Back in the 80's PC's with no internet email; LAN's barely in existence etc it wasn't easy to have them propogate. Macs had their appletalk network.

Now that macs are just PC's with Mac OS on them I wouldn't be suprised to see more mac virus's popping up in the near future since the Mac is not so "alternative" any more. Just wait for the 1st ipod virus. :)

Back