Raspberry Apple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added the pound of lactose and only 2oz. of the raspberry flavoring. It is almost carbed up, just a couple of days until bottling. The taste from the raspberry is nice and mellow, I didn't use the full four ounces as the raspberry juice helped out to boost the flavor. The lactose gives it a nice touch of sweetness, not overpowering. I'm looking forward to aging some of these to see how they do.

Are you kegging it currently, and then moving some to bottles? Otherwise, something here just doesn't sound right....

Yes, kegging then bottling from the keg with a bottling wand hooked into a party tap. If I'm motivated tonight I'll be bottling this batch.

Hi all, I'm a new member of HBT. I have been reading on here for months and have been brewing for a couple of years now. I first want to thank everyone for the help & advice that I've come across here just reading other posts!

Anyways I made a Cider recipe myself and put it together this last weekend and it is fermenting away right now. Here's what I did.

Hard Walmart cider recipe
3 gallons Walmart cheapo apple juice
1 gallon Walmart cheapo Cran juice
4 lbs Walmart light Brown sugar
1 and 1/2 packs of Red Star champagne yeast

I warmed up 2 gallons of Apple juice dissolved and stirred the brown sugar into it. Then I poured it into the carboy and added the rest of the apple juice & Cran juices. Cooled to room temp (about 68 degrees) and pitched 1 and 1/2 packs of Red Star champagne yeast may have been more then needed but I had 1/2 pack that i needed to use up.

Talk about an active fermentation. I've haven't seen beer go this crazy since I pitched Nottingham in my first batch (I was a rookie and it was way too warm and the blowoff went crazy). This cider is so different then any beer I've brewed though as it has no kraeusen on top. It is very clear but it sure is letting off CO2 like crazy! We'll I will let you know how it turns out in a few months :)

Just started my own variation of this.

2 Gallons Motts Apple Juice
2 lbs brown sugar
2 cans Old Orchard Apple-Raspberry juice concentrate
1/2 gallon(ish) water to top off the 3 gallon carboy
4/5ths of a pack of Red Star Cote Des Blancs (it's what I had left)

Started off by adding a gallon and a half of juice and the cans of concentrate to the carboy.
caramelized 2lbs of brown sugar in 1 1/2 cups of juice.
Added the caramelized sugar to the carboy and mixed thoroughly.
Pitched yeasties.

Deep red color, very sweet. OG 1.070.

This is my first experiment not following a recipe, so I'm anxious to see what happens.

Oompa looompa. I am new to cidering and i had a question, what size carboy does your original recipe fill because mine is 6 gallons?

hi guys and gals! I have 3 days in the primary fermenter what I call my PINK HAZE .. Took 3 years and many different changes and tweaks to get my palate to like it. basicly 1-2-3 simple so much simpler than my BEER!

I like the brand Old Orchard for a concentrate without preservatives

10 12oz containers of apple raspberry juice concentrate = they have many different flavors. --- I sanitize / rinse the outside of the containers and put the contents directly into the pri. Fermenter - after syrup solution is done-cooled.

5 gallons filtered water - only going to need 4.25~4.5 (sugar and concentrate take up space)

Boil up 2 gallons of water along with;
1 cup (0.5lb) brown sugar
6LBS Dextrose (corn sugar)
6tsp. UREA - yeast nutrient
1/8tsp gypsum just a dash but it is optional.
15 minutes boil time will do for the syrup cool it off -- I put a gallon /gallon and a half water into my 6 gallon fermenter and quench the temperature like that. in the fermenter should be - syrup - concentrate- most of your water- don't over fill the bucket keep it couple inches below the top..

I get O.G. in the range of 1.082~1.070 depending on how greedy I get from overfilling the bucket with my extra water...

now the yeast...
I am using the Lalvin EC1118 this time but often use Lalvin D47 for my ciders.

1118 is for higher alc% and finishes Super DRY = Potassium Sorbate is your friend-even if you like mixing your cider with 7UP you'll want to use some unfermentable sweetner. When I say DRY I mean it.

D47 fruity and little less brash STILL on the sour side just less. but sorbate is still the trick!

pitch and let 'er go for 5 ~ 7 days -- filter and rack into the secondary when activity slows to near stop,.

To get good results from concentrate You MUST use UREA . That is because there is not enough yeast nutrients in the fruit nor syrup for the yeast to live a proper life cycle -- they need fed so they grow strong and verile to eat ALL that sugar!!

All is left to do after secondary fermenting-- 2 weeks 2 months your choice.. I call it quits at 0.998~0.995 - even though it is still active thru the airlock. is to prime and sweeten for bottling/kegging

-simple- 1 cup corn sugar / 12oz potassium sorbate boil with a 1 QT (32oz) water- 15 minutes boil then cool and add to your cider.
I filter 2 times when I move it primary into secondary (1ce) secondary - priming bucket(2nd)- but not from priming bucket into keg/bottle

usually drinking it in 9 wks from the original boil date sometimes taste at 7 and wait -- cause IT IS better the longer it sits.

This batch is for Valentines Day:pipe::pipe::pipe::pipe::tank::tank: - (hope I can wait til then)

Ill be checking in since I have a lot of spare time to brew now. let me know what you think

How did this batch ever turn out for you vtec?

It turned out good, although I should of back-sweetened some. It was just a bit tart but overall pretty good. Maybe it's just my taste but I seem to prefer Apfelwein over the raspberry flavor.

So this batch sounded awesome, fermentation started slow but got moving after first day 1-2 bubbles in air lock every sec. im at end of day 5 right now and have one bubble about every 5-8 sec. should I add some nutrient or energizer to get it moving again or is it finishing??

Would limeade be able to replace the blueberry/pomegranate juice in order to create a raspberry-lime cider?

My store did not have the blueberry/pom, so I went with two more cans of apple/ras. Since lactose isnt fermentable, can it be added from the start? I figure that will allow for better mixing and uniform flavor. Any thoughts?

Ooompa Loompa said:
3 gallons Wal Mart Apple Juice
1 can apple/raspberry frozen juice concentrate (Wal Mart brand)
2 cans blueberry/pomegranate frozen juice concentrate (Wal Mart brand)
3/4 gallon of water
1 lb regular granulated table sugar
1 packet Red Star Champagne yeast

Mix all the above ingredients together, put them in a carboy, pitch the yeast, then wait 30 days and bottle. That's really all there is to it.

At bottling:
1/2 lb lactose
4 oz raspberry flavoring (sold at all major brew stores for flavoring beers)
4 oz priming sugar

This turned out soooooo nice. I only bottled it a week ago, so it's only very very lightly carbed, but I had to try one it tastes amazing. The lactose brings a nice sweetness to it, and the raspberry flavoring worked into it beautifully. I would compare this to malt beverages like Mikes, Smirnoff, Zima, ect, except I think it's tons better (and at around 7.5% abv it has a lot more of a kick). With all the ingredients included it only cost around $25 which yeilded me 41 bottles, so it only costs around .65/bottle (vs the previously mentioned malt beverages which cost around $8 for a 6 pack). If you're looking for something that the non beer drinkers will enjoy I would definately give this a shot.

I just bottled my batch of raspberry cider. I let it sit for 30days in fermentation. I was wondering how long did you let it sit in the bottle before you would say it's done?

Back