Cable boxes from Hell...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
Comcast called me about a month ago and asked if i wanted to try some new faster Internet for like 5 buck a month. I said sure.

Week later a cable tv box shows up. Being a nice guy i drove down to the office, waited in line, explained i never ordered cable tv i have dish. Guy says the phone sales guys do it all the time to "make their numbers" Whatever.

A month and half later. Another cable box shows up. I swear and leave it sitting on the porch.

2 days later another cable box is sitting out there.

Today UPS just left another cable box.

So now i have 3 F-ing boxes sitting on the porch in the snow that i never ordered.

I do have internet thru comcast, but not cable tv and i never ordered it. Do you think i have to return these f-ing things or can i just throw them in the garbage ?? Its BS that i would have to take my time to drive to the office, haul these big a$$ boxes in and wait in line to return them again. I never ordered them last time and i sure as $hit didnt order them this time.

COMCAST YOU SUCK!

PS They keep sending them 2nd day air too and these arent little boxes either.

If I remember correctly, if you did not order something it is legally a gift. On the other hand, Comcast is famous for changing your contract without telling you. They added "Boost" to my service and started billing me for it. I had to go down in person and get it removed and a refund for the charge. At first, they would only refund "for the remaining part of the billing period". But I when I pointed out that they had nothing signed for the service originally, they were in violation of the contract.

They would be in a snow bank if it were me. You can always take them after the spring thaw, saying you just found them.

I would call them and tell them they can either authorize a UPS pickup or come and get them.

And yes Comcast sucks

If they send them to you then they've added the box SN to your account. I'd take them in or eventually they will either want the box or the $ for the box.

If they send them to you then they've added the box SN to your account. I'd take them in or eventually they will either want the box or the $ for the box.

Thats what i am worried about since i do have an account for my internet.

I think i will call them and tell them to either send a service man and pick them up or send out UPS to get them.

My buddy bought his own modem and called Comcast to give them the MAC addresses set it up. They kept billing him for the modem rental and when he called they said that MAC address was in their database showing the modem was their property and made him prove with receipt that was in fact his equipment. Yup commiecast sucks.

Use the FCC and FTC websites to file complaints for each box. Put a copy of each complaint in each box. Neither dept will do anything for you directly, but Comcast will notice the complaints. The more they get, the more they notice. And the more the FCC and FTC notice, too. Use your state attorney general too. And the BBB, just for fun.

Call Comcast. They'll send you a postage-paid box for you to return them.

My buddy bought his own modem and called Comcast to give them the MAC addresses set it up. They kept billing him for the modem rental and when he called they said that MAC address was in their database showing the modem was their property and made him prove with receipt that was in fact his equipment. Yup commiecast sucks.

I had the opposite occur.

I owned the modem and it was on the fritz, I was just going to suck it up and add a rental modem back on to the account when the tech came. Fortunately the tech didn't even notice I owned the modem and went ahead and swapped it. I got a new modem and no monthly modem charge...

Everything is a scam now. It is a constant battle that gets old. It seems like I am on the phone for an hour every couple weeks with either a bank, or a cable company, or a utilities provider that is trying to add fees or just out-rite scam.

UPS just came and delivered my daily comcast cable box. Mother fvckers!

Before you ask my man cave with the TV and computer and everything is in the basement so i dont hear the doorbell upstairs most the time so UPS just leaves them.

i dont hear the doorbell upstairs most the time so UPS just leaves them.

UPS loves leaving **** hear without ever ringing the ****ing bell. Week before X-mas I just happened to check because I knew the wife was expecting something in a day or two. Found a honey baked ham that someone had sent us. Damn thing could have been out there a day or two if I wouldn't have thought to check. (We both work from home, and when we do go out we use the garage and can't see the area they drop stuff off in coming in and out).

When I drove for UPS, the policy was to knock on the door and ignore the doorbell, do a Driver Release if the area was safe and head off. Reson? Many houses don't have doorbells that work, and not waiting for someone to show up saves hours a week.
If you are expecting a package from a carrier that you want to refuse, Pop a neon colored sign on the front door that has UPS GUY: (Bold black letters) DO NOT D/R (means Driver Release), RING BELL (or CALL MY CELL PLEASE if you are in an area where you won't hear it)

I had an older couple on my route who had: DELIVERY PERSON: Please hold doorbell for 5 seconds. They had a hard time hearing the bell, and this also kept the other delivery drivers from just knocking.

When I drove for UPS, the policy was to knock on the door and ignore the doorbell, do a Driver Release if the area was safe and head off. .

The ones here don't even bother with knocking. Dogs would react if they did. They just drop the package and leave. I have no problem with them not waiting around, but they should at least knock on the freaking door. And it's not just UPS, Fed Ex does the same. The one thing that USPS does right is ring the bell

Check your service invoice for any unwanted fees. Then sell the boxes on Ebay.

Comcast is way too big for their own good. And ours.

I wouldn't recommend that, considering the boxes are someone else's property and have your name in the "ship to" field.

UPS loves leaving **** hear without ever ringing the ****ing bell. Week before X-mas I just happened to check because I knew the wife was expecting something in a day or two. Found a honey baked ham that someone had sent us. Damn thing could have been out there a day or two if I wouldn't have thought to check. (We both work from home, and when we do go out we use the garage and can't see the area they drop stuff off in coming in and out).

Really?

Who orders something by FedEx/UPS and doesn't know when it's supposed to arrive, down to the day, if not within a couple hours based on past experience?

Really?

Who orders something by FedEx/UPS and doesn't know when it's supposed to arrive, down to the day, if not within a couple hours based on past experience?

Don't read much do you?

Found a honey baked ham that someone had sent us

So had no idea this was coming. I also get several packages a month from my office and they don't always tell me they are sending stuff. So must be great to be you and know about everything that affects you when no one has told you about it.

And maybe you track every package to the min, but when I have 10+ packages that my wife has ordered coming over a course of a week or two I don't bother tracking every one of them.

I'd go down to the local office and raise hell. Bring the boxes with you if you can because I can't imagine them not taking you seriously when you walk in with 6 cable boxes in tow.

If you get no joy from that I'd recommend the executive complaint center:

If you have been unable to resolve your Comcast problem after exhausting your local city's Comcast escalation process, you can escalate it to the Comcast Executive Complaint Center, and they will address your issue within 24 hours.
They can be reached at: 215-665-1700

They are listed as:
Comcast
One Comcast Center
Philadelphia PA 19103
(215) 665-1700

An alternative is to e-mail the Comcast Cares group at this email address: [email protected]

I'd go down to the local office and raise hell. Bring the boxes with you if you can because I can't imagine them not taking you seriously when you walk in with 6 cable boxes in tow.

If you get no joy from that I'd recommend the executive complaint center:

If you have been unable to resolve your Comcast problem after exhausting your local city's Comcast escalation process, you can escalate it to the Comcast Executive Complaint Center, and they will address your issue within 24 hours.
They can be reached at: 215-665-1700

They are listed as:
Comcast
One Comcast Center
Philadelphia PA 19103
(215) 665-1700

An alternative is to e-mail the Comcast Cares group at this email address: [email protected]

You have clearly never dealt with the a$$holes at Comcast, our you would know the above is a bunch of BS. Comcast Cares -- thats the funniest think I have seen all day

You have clearly never dealt with the a$$holes at Comcast, our you would know the above is a bunch of BS. Comcast Cares -- thats the funniest think I have seen all day

Having been a Comcast customer for the last 8 years I'd beg to differ on not having dealt with them...

I was just reposting the info from a broadband site I have frequented. Some of the users there had good results when local offices and the 800 number drones were useless.

U...Week before X-mas I just happened to check because I knew the wife was expecting something in a day or two. Found a honey baked ham that someone had sent us. Damn thing could have been out there a day or two if I wouldn't have thought to check.

Don't read much do you?

So had no idea this was coming. I also get several packages a month from my office and they don't always tell me they are sending stuff. So must be great to be you and know about everything that affects you when no one has told you about it.

And maybe you track every package to the min, but when I have 10+ packages that my wife has ordered coming over a course of a week or two I don't bother tracking every one of them.

Actually, yeah. I noticed you conveniently left out the part immediately before and after which all runs together.

If the deliveries are causing a problem perhaps you should change the way you receive them.

Comcast called me about a month ago and asked if i wanted to try some new faster Internet for like 5 buck a month. I said sure.

Week later a cable tv box shows up. Being a nice guy i drove down to the office, waited in line, explained i never ordered cable tv i have dish. Guy says the phone sales guys do it all the time to "make their numbers" Whatever.

A month and half later. Another cable box shows up. I swear and leave it sitting on the porch.

2 days later another cable box is sitting out there.

Today UPS just left another cable box.

So now i have 3 F-ing boxes sitting on the porch in the snow that i never ordered.

I do have internet thru comcast, but not cable tv and i never ordered it. Do you think i have to return these f-ing things or can i just throw them in the garbage ?? Its BS that i would have to take my time to drive to the office, haul these big a$$ boxes in and wait in line to return them again. I never ordered them last time and i sure as $hit didnt order them this time.

COMCAST YOU SUCK!

PS They keep sending them 2nd day air too and these arent little boxes either.

HA! I just spent half an hour this afternoon with a tech rep trying to get my owner-supplied cable modem working. Turns out the a-holes who set up my account and sold it to me also lied right through their teeth when they told me my account would be active immediately and that I could connect my modem.

NOPE! Comcast is sending a "Self Install Kit" with a modem in it. Until I have this kit and modem, I can't install my own modem. I'll also have to send the unused modem back to them. WTF? This sort of crap is why I left Comcast in the first place. I cannot believe they are still this inept and inefficient.

That's very strange. Usually, connecting an unregistered/unprovisioned modem brings up a self-registration web page where you put in the modem's information and your account information and away you go.

That's very strange. Usually, connecting an unregistered/unprovisioned modem brings up a self-registration web page where you put in the modem's information and your account information and away you go.

Yep, that's what the sales people told me. Then this tech support person says I need all the crap in the self install box to get started so they "can close my work order and activate the account"...

WTF!?

Yeah, send me a modem I've already told you I don't need and a bunch of cables and crap I ALSO told you I don't need, before you'll start taking my money. :drunk:

The "self install" packages I've seen (not Comcast, but Charter) were little more than a CD or DVD that will install some totally unnecessary crap on your computer (like add ons to your browser, and maybe some of their utility software), instructions, and the modem with cables.

I've done a couple of those for friends and never used any of the setup materials. Just connected up the modem, booted up the computer, opened the browser and put in the necessary info on the self-registration screen.

I just switched to commiecast, with my own modem and had none of that. I gave tech support my serial number, mac address, etc and they put it right on no self install kit or anything,

Be sure to keep your receipt i have read in other forums where they later claim the modem is theirs and want it back or want to be paid for it.

That happened to me! Darn glad I kept the chat logs from their support website and the receipt or I'd be out a modem. Needed it not only once but twice...I still keep an eye on my bill for that monthly modem charge to pop up again.

Just got a roku box for Xmas. Going to try to switch over to hulu plus and/or Netflix and ditch comcast cable. I'll still need them for Internet though. And I'm worried that without one of their bundle deals, they're going to charge me an arm and a leg just for Internet so I won't end up saving much in the end. Maybe I should just huck the tv out the window....maybe I'd brew more!

Latest posts

Back