First time Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakwood

Reaction score
Here's the story, had some friends over and we made a lager. Everything seemed to go good. Once it was pretty much chilled (58-62 d.) I pitched it. It has been at a steady 42d for over 24 hours and nothing. Did I mess it up by pitching to warm? Is it just going to take longer becuase it is at the cold side of its range? Should I just shut up and let it go for a month and see what happends?

I agree. Most lager yeasts do their best work at around 50-55 degrees. I don't know of a yeast that ferments well below 50. You need to warm it back up.

TL

Is the yeast actually rated that low? If it is, you are looking at 3-4 months for the fermentation because the lower the temperature, the slower the ferment. I'd warm it up to the high end of the yeast's range until it starts fermenting.

48-58 is the range. I will try to warm it up tonight some how. The fridge is on the warmest temp setting it has. Is there anything else I can do to get it warmer?

You need an external temperature regulator. You plug the fridge into it and it turns the electricity on and off. I suppose you could use a lamp timer to do the same thing, but that would take some trial and error figuring out how long to run the fridge to keep the temp where you want it.

Also, when I've done lagers it hasn't been unusual to wait for 3 day before seeing bubbles in the airlock. It's funny because I started with lagers and was wondering why everyone was panicking when they didn't see bubbles within 12 hours. I switched to ales over the summer and I was shocked how quickly and vigorously the ale yeast worked. Lager yeast at lager fermentation temps just take lots of time to do their thing.

Where can I get a "external temperature regulator", I googled it but couldn't find anything that came close to what I need.

Iordz said:

Hi guys, first post here. It looks like I might be able to use on of these. Do you know if they would work with a freezer? I have an old stand up freezer in the garage with nothing in it. I would like to make use of this somehow instead of purchasing a fridge. Anybody know if this temp. reg. would do the trick?

Slugger said:
Hi guys, first post here. It looks like I might be able to use on of these. Do you know if they would work with a freezer? I have an old stand up freezer in the garage with nothing in it. I would like to make use of this somehow instead of purchasing a fridge. Anybody know if this temp. reg. would do the trick?

Yes, lots of people do it. I have a similar product (digital Ranco) attached to a chest freezer...works great.

i've got one on a chest freeaer as well. guess i could do my first lager since i've had the temp control for almost two months. what part of colorado you in slugger?

That's great to hear. I'll be picking one up hopefully today. Started my first lager about 5 days ago. Primary fermentation has been at 60 (using a San Francisco Lager Yeast [WLP810] - 58-65).

Is it ok to rack to secondary and then lager at around 50 for another week or two, or should I keep at the same temp. as the primary?

PUD - From the front range Conifer area. But, I grew up in southern CO. and have spent lots of time around Durango/Cortez (WolfCreek!).

Back