Cider Dream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
I was trying to sleep the other night and was thinking of things to add to beer or cider for flavor. I have been thinking about making a redhot candy cider, but other ideas came to my head like nutmeg? or cloves? Can these items be added, and at what point would you add them? Thanks

............nutmeg and cinnamon and clove are a lot more common than redhots.

I would add any adjunct with the yeast myself.

Anything that is good in apple pie would probably be good in cider.

I was trying to sleep the other night and was thinking of things to add to beer or cider for flavor. I have been thinking about making a redhot candy cider, but other ideas came to my head like nutmeg? or cloves? Can these items be added, and at what point would you add them? Thanks

Yes. Add them in primary, or secondary, or both. Just remember: with spices, a little goes a long way. And try to use whole/cracked spices, that way you can remove them when the desired flavour profile has been reached; the powdered type usually ends in a big mess & way too much spice flavour.
Regards, GF.

There's a variety of JK's Solstice cider (Michigan) that is flavored with cinnamon, vanilla, and a hint of maple.
Everything I've read on flavoring cider leads to adding whole spice to the secondary, and don't overdo it.
I'm going to pick up some vanilla beans and whole cinnamon sticks and test it out (scrape vanilla, add to secondary, add an 1" or so of cinnamon stick to 1 gallon)

Sounds good! I've got a cinnamon batch thats been aging for like 6 months that I can't wait to try... The cinnamon sticks are super expensive though, does anyone know where to get them cheap? I got them target, it was like 8 bucks for 6 sticks or something ridiculous like that...

Sounds good! I've got a cinnamon batch thats been aging for like 6 months that I can't wait to try... The cinnamon sticks are super expensive though, does anyone know where to get them cheap? I got them target, it was like 8 bucks for 6 sticks or something ridiculous like that...

Ethnic markets have some of the best prices on spices. Polish, Indian,Arabic, other Asian etc. These would be markets that serve new local immigrant populations (rather than a market, for instance, that serves as a "specialty" store for upscale shopping).
Figure out where immigrant areas are, get out the yellow pages, and call or visit.

If you don't have time or are able to search out the ethnic markets, you can always get them mail order from Penzeys.com

Penzeys actually has different varieties of cinnamon (as well as different varities of whole vanilla bean) as well as just about every other spice I've heard of (and some I've never heard of)

Nice store. They may also have a store not far from you - they're based in WI but have stores across the country.

Latest posts

Back