Bayou Classic SP10 on sale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grabbed one of these after Christmas at the same price. I used it for my first AG about 2 1/2 weeks ago and it was great! Had a full boil rolling away within 10 minutes.

Take heed of the advice, though, that says you must let it burn for about 20 minutes prior to using it in order to burn off the black paint on the metal. I don't know why they didn't use heat resistant paint, but it's no big deal once you burn it off.

I don't know why they bother painting them in the first place. Yuck!

Used a new one for my first AG around the same time.

If this is the Blowtorch style one...avoid it and get the SQ14 instead

I had the blowtorch one and averaged 1 tank of Propane for each 5 gallon batch as it was horribly inefficient.

I'm getting 3 1/2 with the SQ14 now and it was only $20 more...wish I went that route to begin with.

If this is the Blowtorch style one...avoid it and get the SQ14 instead

I had the blowtorch one and averaged 1 tank of Propane for each 5 gallon batch as it was horribly inefficient.

I'm getting 3 1/2 with the SQ14 now and it was only $20 more...wish I went that route to begin with.

How wide open did you use it? I got a standard 15 lb. LP tank and I barely used 1/4 of the tank on a 6.5 gallon boil (60 min. +10 to get to boil). In fact it was almost too strong, as I had to top off after I had such intense boil-off. I've been grilling with the tank for about 3 weeks since, and I still have half the tank left.

I'd highly recommend this burner!!! Great price!!! I get about 4 batches with one propane tank with this burner. That includes heating sparge water and boil.

That's pretty much Amazon's standard price. I bought it about a month ago. Good to communicate this on the forum, though....

When I bought it it was 60 bucks...that was a year ago lol...So to me it's a great price.

Yep, it comes up for sale a bit, just thought I'd throw it out there as it is a good deal when it's on sale.

As far as the blowtorch writeup above, it's true, this thing will scream if you boil w/ it wide open (which you should never do). I open it wide to get to a boil, then turn it waaaaaay down so my wort is simply moving around and not bubbling anymore. I get 4 10 gallon batches per tank.

Also note that the SP10 is too small to hold a keggle, you must retrofit it. My quick fix is I use my bbq grate and rest my keggle on that (over the burner). It is very simple and imho not worth paying $20 extra bucks to move to the sq14 which I think is the same burner on a different stand.
If you want an upgrade to this burner, you should consider the banjo cooker (kab4)

I'd highly recommend this burner!!! Great price!!! I get about 4 batches with one propane tank with this burner. That includes heating sparge water and boil.

Ditto, my experience as well. It can keep a fairly vigorous boil even when turned way down, and I'm getting 4-5 batches (5.5-6 gallons) out of a standard propane tank.

I've seen the price bounce around on Amazon between this price (which can't be beat) and about $10 more.

Back