Small Beer recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew up a lower strength brew, in the 1.040 range and thought I would see what experience others have in this area. I will attach a 5 gallon version of my recipe below, which is an example of my approach to these brews. I will be brewing 25 gallons of this.

A Lighter Shade of Pale Ale
A ProMash Recipe Report
Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 7.40
Anticipated OG: 1.03997 Plato: 9.986
Anticipated SRM: 6.4
Anticipated IBU: 33.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
54.1 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.03800 3
13.5 1.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.03800 2
13.5 1.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.03700 3
10.8 0.80 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.03300 2
8.1 0.60 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.03400 40
Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 23.7 60 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 7.2 20 min.
0.25 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 2.4 5 min.

Yeast
-----
WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 7.40
Water Qts: 9.37 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 2.34 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.27 - Before Additional Infusions
Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Sparge Temp : 0 Time: 0

Total Mash Volume Gal: 2.93 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

It is interesting to note that a 1.040 OG places a brew within the Best Bitters/Special Bitters category, as opposed to ordinary bitters.

I brew a lot of bitters in the range of what you're planning to do. Maris Otter or some other english pale malt to get around 1.038-44. Then I use a little over a pound of specialty, usually crystal and biscuit or aromatic. I've never added carapils, or felt a need to.

I still make APAs around 1.050. But besides that, my EPAs, bitters, browns, and irish reds are from 1.038-45. I find it to be a nice gravity for my "coming home from work" pint(s). Good luck with your brew, I'm sure it will be tasty.

monk

Thanks Monk.

I have made this one before, more or less, and always like it. I use the cara-pils because I like the body it adds. I also like the vienna because of the nutty tones it adds to the Maris Otter.

My hops are a bit on the high side, but again, it is a personal thing.

My dear, departed Bent Rod Rye checked in as a small beer, so is the Whole Harvest mild. You recipe is actually close to BRR, except I was cleaning out the freezer & ended up using 5 hops for the boil and three for dry hopping. My next pair will probably end up as small beers.

I couldn't get the Vienna malt I was going to use so I picked up some "Ashburne" malt from Briess. It is in the 6-8 degree L range and is suggested as a Vienna substitute. I have never seen it before and will be interested to give it a try. Anybody out there know anything about it?

I have it sitting around and figured I would just throw it in. No real reason other then wanting to use it up. I had never heard about this Ashburne stuff either, but I figure I will give it a try. I am hoping for a bit of light roast out of it. We shall see!

I don't have any insight to offer on your plans but I do enjoy the occasional bottle of Anchor Small Beer which they make from the second runnings of Old Fog Horn. I believe it comes in at 3.2 ABV and has quite a nice body and color. The hop profile seems significantly different, of course.

dantodd said:
I don't have any insight to offer on your plans but I do enjoy the occasional bottle of Anchor Small Beer which they make from the second runnings of Old Fog Horn. I believe it comes in at 3.2 ABV and has quite a nice body and color. The hop profile seems significantly different, of course.

I have never heard of that beer. If I am in the bay area I will have to check it out.

I like to brew "small" beers. I tend to like them in the 3.5-4% range. The ordinary and special bitters just seem crisp and refreshing to me. Plus they seem to mature faster. :ban:

Back