Heavy duty kettle from Morebeer.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
After doing my first full boil with less than an inch of headspace, I decided it was time for a big pot. Some birthday money and a $20 off coupon led me to this heavy duty kettle from Morebeer.

Here's what was in the box. Giant pot, lid and stainless steel ball valve. The pot weighs a TON.

pot_parts.jpg

The welds look good. I really appreciate the fact that they welded a male fitting onto the kettle instead of using a close nipple on a female fitting.

welds.jpg

And here's a size comparison of my old 7 gallon kettle.

pots_compare.jpg

I may be putting it through its paces this weekend, if all goes as planned.

-Joe

Got the same one as the Deal of the Day a while back. I have turned mine into a MLT. I really like it and it is very sturdy. I think you will enjoy this over your old 7 gallon one.

Nice! I just saw those last night on their web site and started thinking about upgrading my brew pot. Of course, I'd have to buy a propane burner setup 'cause the ol' electric stove (*sigh*) just wouldn't be able to handle it.

From the pics, it looks like the build quality is excellent-- thanks for posting them. Have fun with it!

-Steve

that sure is purty, i have a 20qt from gordon food service. when it comes time to upgrade i want something like yours with a false bottom and two welds.

I have this one, the mash tun and the hot liquor tank from B3. They work great minus the extra boil off due to the increased surface area compared to the Blichmann and some others. I modified my MT and HLT even further also to accomodate my needs.

The HLT has two couplers welded in with SS QDs and 50' of copper tubing for a heat exchanger and I drilled through the lid and mounted a AC gear motor with a SS shaft and prop for circulation.

HERMS_coil.JPG

The MT has two holes drilled in the lid for a HERMS ring and an adjustable sparge arm. I wanted an adjustable arm for minimal disturbance during sparging and needed something with larger holes during HERMS to minimize clogging. That's why I have two.

DSC00709.JPG

nostalgia - you're in good company, I bought three of the 8 gallon heavy duty kettels from morebeer to use for my HLT, mashtun and boil kettle. I haven't done an AG batch yet, that's next. I do really like the kettles even though they're made in China, they seam to be pretty well made. The clad bottoms seem to transmit and hold heat really well. I think that morebeer did an excellent job with the welded fittings on the ones I've got so I'm pretty happy so far. Happy brewing!

This is probably going to be my next equipment related purchase. I really wish they had a 10 gallon version.

Zomg having a spigot on the kettle is so much better than trying to dump 5G into a funnel.

Wow it needs a pickup tube. I'm sitting here watching it drain and it stopped well short of 3 gallons. :)

Boiloff rate was just about 15% with a pretty mellow, but rolling, boil. Went from 6.42gal to 5 gal in an hour.

-Joe

Boiloff rate was just about 15% with a pretty mellow, but rolling, boil. Went from 6.42gal to 5 gal in an hour.

-Joe

That is about the same boil off that I have with my converted keg. Not that bad at all.

Back