brownish red ring around leaves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addis29

Reaction score
Two questions, My cascades have a brownish red ring around the outer egde of the leaf, and some have patches of brown on the leaf. Any ideas? The second question, Are ants a problem? I have them climbing all over my string for the bines.

"Sounds" like the beginning of a nutrient issue, namely potassium, which is hard to diagnose.

Hop Disease and Pest Symptoms

The problem with nutrient issues is that "too much" looks the same as "too little" and also that overwatering, be it natural or irrigated, has the same appearance. Another fun one is that some of the micro-nutrient deficiencies combined can appear similar to a macro-nutrient deficiency.

Starts to make sense why (some of) the bigger yards spend so much on detailed soils testing and custom blended fertilizers.

Ain't hop growin' Fuuuuuuuun?

brownish red edges of the leaves sounds like Phosphorus deficiency. do they look scorched or burnt at all ? usually phsphorus deficency is a problem with soil pH moreso than a lack of phosphorus in the soil, if you've ever fertiized at all you shoulnd't have a phosphorus deficency unless the pH is so acidic the plant can't get the phosphorus from the soil. a little lime might help. call the county agent and get a soil test

No but could you post some more pics.. I dont really see what your talking about...

Wish I was more help!!

If you saw ants, it's possible you may have an aphid infestation. Ants will farm aphids for their honeydew and even store the aphid eggs for use in the springtime.

Aphid infestations will causes yellowing, stunting, mottling, browning, and curling of leaves, just like what appears in your picture. Look on the underside of some of the leaves for tiny little green specks moving around. Also look for little webs made on the underside of the leaves as well, these are spidermites, another pest.

The cheapest cure for aphids is to spray the hell out of the plants with a blast from the hose. Just let em have it! It knocks them off the plant and they usually can't find it again. You can kill aphids by spraying, especially under the leaves, with a solution of 2 tsp mild dish or laundry soap to a bottle of luke warm water. The soap washes off the aphid’s protective waxy coating and causes dehydration. You can also mix three parts luke warm water to one part vegetable or horticultural oil and a couple drops of dish soap. This mixture can be sprayed on to clog the respiratory spiracles of aphids. Spray once a week taking turns between solutions.

Oh yea, and if you see a bunch of these don't kill them like I did a few years ago. They're ladybug larvae, and really good for your plants.

Latest posts

Back