Lengthy Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exo

Reaction score
I'll start with my recipe and some notes. A Pale Ale written by Greg Snapp. Greg owns the Homebrew store in Waukesha, WI called "Frugal Homebrewer"

1/2# each of Carapils and 30L Crystal
6# Light Extract

1oz Perle 50min
1oz Cascade 10min
1oz Cascade 3min steep
1oz Cascade dry-hop secondary

Grains were steeped 20min and removed prior to addition of LME.

All hops were pitched right into the kettle at appropriate times. Boil length 60min. According to ProMash, SG should be approx. 1.060. IBU's around 46. Some of the trub made it into the primary. Yeast is Wyeast 1056 smack-pack.

Primary saw some vigourous blow-off for ~2 days at 66degrees...but nothing like my 1007 German ale yeast which blew off nearly 1/4 gallon at 64deg!!

At 7 days I transferred to a secondary and just pitched the dry hop right in. Some very minor blow-off again, but mostly due to the dry-hopped pellets being at the neck of the fermenter. Once they sank, no probs. The ferment continued and I've got a 3/4" of a clean white "head" at the neck of the 5gal carboy. Had it ever since.

Now, at day 17 I got curious and stuck a flashlight on the carboy. Fermentation still going on for sure. Little yeast globs rising and falling. Tiny bubbles similar to carbonation in a pint are rising.

So...At 7days in primary and 10days in secondary...should I be worried that something is wrong? Or will this just be a clean, dry beer when the yeast infection subsides?

Ok, chug-a-lug!! It's a very proper-looking beer though the carboy. Can't wait to see the final gravity and the colors.

You hear about "off" flavors if your brew is left in the secondary too long, but really...how long is too long? Months?

Well, I'm coming upon two weeks in the secondary on these batches.

Still fermenting away...small bubbles rising constant. The beer has cleared considerably and it's a fine looking and smelling beer.

Well, it should be bottle day but it's still bubbling away! Grrr...

Latest posts

Back