Hops direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treekiller

A tree is never safe
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that have ordered from Hops Direct.
Were you pleased with your experience?, would you order from them again?, or would you suggest another supplier? I am thinking of placing an order for four or five different varieties, so that I will have plenty of hops on hand. I have seen past posts that others have placed orders with them, but never really followed up on how happy they were with the order. Thanks in advance.
Sorry if this should have been posted in the recipes/ingredients section.

They are very prompt, have good prices, quality product, and they deliver *at least* the quantity you ordered (often more). What's not to like?

My only problem is that I don't brew enough to purchase hops is quanitity very often.

cweston said:
My only problem is that I don't brew enough to purchase hops is quanitity very often.
Yeah, we GRABASS'ers did a group buy and I've still got a lot of of hops! Definitely best to find other likeminded brewers and split an order. I think we got around an extra 1/2# or so for every 1# we ordered. All of the hops I got looked fresh and had relatively few vines/extra stuff.

OTOH, at this point you might consider waiting for the new crops in the fall unless you're really going to do a lot of brewing between now and then.

freshops.com allows for manageable sizes and the quality is excellent. Only problem is that the selection is a little lacking, but it's hard to find a lot of varieties in whole or plug form.

I think minimum orders are for a lb. of each variety. Has anyone an opinion on Freshops? They allow orders of in ounces.

4-5 varieties is going to give you a LOT of hops. Hope you got some friends to share them with or have a dedicated hop fridge/freezer :).

A 1# bag comes the size of a pillow and like others said you'll get more than 1#. I ordered 1# nugget and 1# cascade from them and got hops coming out of my ying-yang.

Great place to buy whole hops though. Next time I order I got to find some locals to go in on ordering with as I can't store everything I want with 1+# orders just for me.

I do have a vacuum sealer and a freezer (above the kegerator) that could be dedicated to the storage. I am just afraid that even vacuum sealed they are going to burst the old freezer's seams. That is a huge amount of hops.
I guess it would be best to order from a place like fresh hops that allows for more manageable quantities.

I vacumm sealed mine as well. I basically only buy from hopsdirect what I know I use often (Cascade/Nugget here). I'm lucky, the other hops I need not quite as often I just get locally on the way home from work...

I measure mine into 1.1 oz and .55 oz bags then vacuum seal them. The last one is just "extra". I'll throw it into a batch whenever the thrill hits me.

I write on the bags first with a CD marker. Works real well.

cweston said:
They are very prompt, have good prices, quality product, and they deliver *at least* the quantity you ordered (often more).
I did a search to see if anyone here had a similar experience, and sure enough, I'm not the only one!

I just received my first Hops Direct order - 1# E.K. Goldings and 1# German Tettnanger. I thought I'd vacuum seal them into convenient 3 oz bags, and after I bagged 18 oz of Tettnanger, I decided to measure the total weight. Seems they shipped me 1 lb + 12 oz of each variety! I'll be ordering from them again!!!

(Total cost was $27, including shipping...that's $0.48 per oz!)

4688-holyhops.JPG

Hope none of the local high school kids saw me bagging this stuff! We'll have a whole neighborhood of dry hopped kids with "bitter beer face" from their 500 IBU brownies!
:rockin:

atonofhops offers a combo pack of 4 4oz packs for one price. This is nice for those that don't want a whole pound of one variety.

YES...if you have room for 'em!! I've bought a few lbs of the pellets, but I just purchased a lb of the fresh leaf, and it was INTOXICATING!! I've never had so much fresh leaf hops!!

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

:mug:

The leaf is scary! Takes up so much room, I'm not sure what to do with some of it. Maybe I'll brew :D.
I'm waiting for the 2010 pellets - supposed to be Nov/Dec release.

Dave

Back