Can US-05 yeast be used in any beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Ale beer that is. For some reason I love this yeast and prefer it over liquid yeast. Can this be used in any beer other than lagers?

Can it? Sure. Will it be precisely to style? Likely there are times when it does not produce the flavors indicative of the style.

Sure it can be used in any beer... probably not a good idea to use it in every beer though. I use US-5 in a good portion of my beers, wouldn't dream of using it in a Belgian or some of the English beers among others... It is handy to have around, though I tend to use more liquid yeasts overall...

it deffinitely cant be used in just any beer. it does work well with many american ale styles such as IPA, APA, american amber, american brown, cream, and blonde. its also a good strain to use when experimenting with new ingredients and combinations. its clean fermenting so it allows the flavors of malts, hops, or other ingredients to come through.

it's good for most american beer styles, and any beer where yeast characteristics aren't really called for. that rules out belgian beers, for example.

IPAs & pale ales feature hops, porters and stouts feature roasted malts, barleywine doesn't need a ton of yeast character - these are all great styles for US-05. you could even pull off Category 6 beers if you ferment cool (except kolsch, IMO).

I agree with the others. American style ales are what is is best suited for. Anything from a pale ale to an American style stout. It is a great yeast. I use it for a very large percentage of what I brew. The exception is where the yeast provides a large part of the flavor such as a heffe or Belgian.

Latest posts

Back