Too cold and too late at night to brew outside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion7144

Reaction score
I was planning on making the 10 gallon ag batch of centennial blond and was curious if I could do the full mash but only boil half and save half for a later day to boil?

orion7144 said:
I was planning on making the 10 gallon ag batch of centennial blond and was curious if I could do the full mash but only boil half and save half for a later day to boil?

Sure, just keep the wort cold and covered. You are going to boil it up anyways so contamination should not be a concern. I wouldn't go more than a few days though, just my opinion.

The batch may sour slightly overnight, this is a simple method to make a slightly sour beer without pitching the correct various bacteria or sour strains.

It is cold here too.. The last two brews I completed was in the garage with the door shut, except during the boil the door was open by a couple feet.

Four days later the garage still smells of freshly boiled wort.

Thanks for the replies. I am just thinking my electric range may not handle the full boil for the 10 gallon batch. It is a stronger electric range but I think a 5 gallon batch would be pushing it. Hmmmm or I could use my jet burner in my 15 gallon kettle for a 5 gallon batch outside and not worry about boil overs while waiting inside lol.

Ha, too cold. There's no such thing as too cold, just under-prepared. That's what I've always been taught in MN.

Last time I was in Minneapolis it was -21F, it is a weird sensation when the moisture in your nose freezes when you breath in. That my friends is cold... I am a southerner living in the north so slightly below freezing is bad enough.

The tunnels in the city is pretty neat to walk through.. and required to support life.

Really cold is when you sneeze and the hairs in your nose break off. -42F Idaho Falls, ID

Come on in the water's fine.

Signed,
Southerner

Of course there is a good part of me that wants to join the free state project and move to New Hampshire... maybe move to Wyoming.

I always felt that if its gonna be cold, it might as well snow. I miss the good snowy winters we used to have here. I would wait till all the idiots gave up or ran off the roads and then go out to play. It taught me how to drive and have fun in snow. Some say i'm crazy.... well just maybe but I dont get trapped in the house

Back