Fermenting with hops and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGriff

Reaction score
I've seen this question come up on here before but wanted to ask about the bottling process. I've recently made a batch of beer but didn't strain out the hops before fermentation. The bucket that I'm fermenting in is also my bottling bucket. In about a week from now my beer should be ready to bottle. A couple of questions....(I'm a newbie)

1. Should I leave my beer in the bottling bucket and just proceed to bottle my beer (with unstrained hops).
2. Should I transfer the beer to a secondary fermenting vessel (glass carboy)?

I just don't want to be drinking my beer and suddenly get a mouthful of hops. Any ideas?

Using a bottling bucket for fermentation is dangerous. That hole in the bottom could leak, and there goes all your hard work!

Transfer your beer to another vessel. When your are ready to bottle, transfer back to the sanitized bottling bucket.

hope2perc said:
Using a bottling bucket for fermentation is dangerous. That hole in the bottom could leak, and there goes all your hard work!

Transfer your beer to another vessel. When your are ready to bottle, transfer back to the sanitized bottling bucket.

Dangerous? I've done it many times, not a single leak & when if you transfer to a keg, put some tubing on the spigot & let er rip. Now bottling from the same bucket you ferment in? No.

Hops in the fermenter are fine. I try and leave as much behind in the kettle as I can but i don't put too much effort into it.

You should transfer your beer to another bucket to bottle though.

I ferment in whatever is available, ferementer or bottle bucket, and rack straight out of it. Never have had a problem with gunk in my beer. Having said that, it gets racked straight to a keg and when I clean out the keg there is some but not much trub at the bottom. But the beer pours clear after the first glass. Not sure if it would be same in bottles but imagine so.

Dangerous? I've done it many times, not a single leak & when if you transfer to a keg, put some tubing on the spigot & let er rip. Now bottling from the same bucket you ferment in? No.

i bottle most of my lighter beers straight from the bucket and i usually always ferment in bottling buckets...makes for such an easy bottling day. I also tape off and fill the spigot with sanitizer as well as removing the valve after each batch. Why i dont use it for larger beers i dont know but ive never had a problem doing it this way

EDIT: To the OP, in time when primed for carb and chilled for serving your trub/yeast will 95% of the time drop to the bottom of the bottle...Just leave the last 1/4 in the bottle when pouring a pint. First couple of batches i did had ATLEAST 1/4 of trub in the bottles. In time youll learn what does and does not work. Good luck!

Back