calling all disc golfers.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run up or standstill? I do a one step at most.

Depends. On the tee, my forehand has a long, 3 stride walkup and my backhand is a little, almost backward 2 step shuffle. On the fairway, I tone it back to a gentle one step, maybe 2 with a long forehand. Up close I'm almost exclusively backhand, flat(ish) foot except for the occasional short, anny shot (forehand flatfoot).
I haven't tried the MVP plastic. I mostly throw Discraft, Z or ESP plastic, some FLX and X too. I have one Ching disc, one Latitude 64, two QuestAT and two Millennium (Innova). Discraft's have always served my game well.

No MVP, yet.

Run up or standstill? I do a one step at most.

I am usually still.
Sometimes I I do a step or step and a half on FH shots and something similar to what Nordeast said for BH, kind of a 2 step. right foot, left foot goes backwards a bit, then right comes back down to plant on weight shift. (RHBH)
My game is limitied by the fact that my FH is left handed so I get really simialr flight as backhand. Lately I have been more consistent with FH. Ratio of good to okay to bad to "!^^%^%@!!" throws is worse on my backhand.

I'm mainly RHBH. I'll do RHFH for up close, tight mandos since my RHBH goes right quite a bit, right from the release. Even if I aim my body more left to compensate, somehow the disc still arcs right more than intended.

LHBH has gotten me through those mandos a few times, but it's a 50/50 chance. I tend to snap my wrist way left and release too late throwing that way.

What helped me bring in my RHBH a good bit is "let it rip". Feel for when the disc is about to rip out of my hand and let it. Saves me from a lot of RHBH late releases that go near 90 degrees from intended.

I like the X-step. Gets me moving in the right direction and I have gotten much better torque from my core since I started. I've also gotten better generally so I don't know...

X step is good but my form isn't solid enough in the rest of my throw to use it reliably yet.
This summer sucks, I have been throwing far less than I would like due to the heat.
I wouldn't mind so much but I work in the heat all day, I like to be cooler when I'm not at work. I have a fan at work but generally don't want wind on the course.
I worked 2nd shift last summer so I got lots of glow and throw in in the cool hours of 12-5am.

I am usually still.
Sometimes I I do a step or step and a half on FH shots and something similar to what Nordeast said for BH, kind of a 2 step. right foot, left foot goes backwards a bit, then right comes back down to plant on weight shift. (RHBH)
My game is limitied by the fact that my FH is left handed so I get really simialr flight as backhand. Lately I have been more consistent with FH. Ratio of good to okay to bad to "!^^%^%@!!" throws is worse on my backhand.

I'm mainly RHBH. I'll do RHFH for up close, tight mandos since my RHBH goes right quite a bit, right from the release. Even if I aim my body more left to compensate, somehow the disc still arcs right more than intended.

LHBH has gotten me through those mandos a few times, but it's a 50/50 chance. I tend to snap my wrist way left and release too late throwing that way.

What helped me bring in my RHBH a good bit is "let it rip". Feel for when the disc is about to rip out of my hand and let it. Saves me from a lot of RHBH late releases that go near 90 degrees from intended.

Awesome to see a couple other ambidextrous throwers. I'm mainly LHFH, then LHBH, but will use a RHBH shot fairly often in the right sitchyshun. A lot of times it's easier to throw a hard left mando right handed than it is to try to tone back my FH shot or throw a hard anny LHBH. I put righty a lot as well.

I like the X-step. Gets me moving in the right direction and I have gotten much better torque from my core since I started. I've also gotten better generally so I don't know...

I've played around with that cross step some. I'm still working on having a step up with a BH shot, it's something I started last fall, so sometimes it throws me off. I have noticed though, when I do get it right, that I get a lot more torque on my throws. :mug:

Off the tee, the x step is the way to go. I've been Disc Golfing for nearly 20 years (competitivly the last 15 years) and the best power and control comes from a solid x step. It does take a while to learn and develop the right rythm, but I would encourage everyone to work at it!

May your discs fly straight and true :mug:

Off the tee, the x step is the way to go. I've been Disc Golfing for nearly 20 years (competitivly the last 15 years) and the best power and control comes from a solid x step. It does take a while to learn and develop the right rythm, but I would encourage everyone to work at it!

May your discs fly straight and true :mug:

Sweet. I gotta ask, since you have the experience, is it just a matter of repeating the 'x' step to get it down, or is there a way to do it that is fool proof? When I get it right, the 'x' step up definitely adds distance and speed to my BH, but when it's off, it's WAY off.

LOL. There are a few fundamentals, but really it is just practice, practice, practice. I always try and tell people to practice the x step at about 75% power until you are consistent, then crank it up to 85% and so on... It does have a lot of "moving pieces" LOL

Check this out? Its a decent video...

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. There are a few fundamentals, but really it is just practice, practice, practice. I always try and tell people to practice the x step at about 75% power until you are consistent, then crank it up to 85% and so on... It does have a lot of "moving pieces" LOL

Check this out? Its a decent video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLGSukGYXlk

Thanks!! I figured it was just a matter of repeating it over and over. It's definitely working for me when I'm on, 2 years ago I'd have never thrown BH off a tee because I had zero distance. Now, I'm throwing more and more BH throws at longer distances. I think now it's just a matter of working out the timing of the final step/plant with my wrist and getting that consistent. :rockin:

Thanks Dave!

In other DG news, it seems our new awesome local course is likely to get half of the Illinois doubles championships. :rockin:

Oh yeah! Disc golf and brewing are a great combo. I've got to say I think I'm a better brewer than disc golfer but really enjoy both. I throw:
Drivers; Boss, Nuke SS, Valkyrie, Villian
Fairway: Flick, Stalker
Midrange: Buzz, Backbone
Putter: Wizard (best putter ever).

Thanks Dave!

In other DG news, it seems our new awesome local course is likely to get half of the Illinois doubles championships. :rockin:

Nice! I assume you'll be going. Sounds like a fun time. :rockin:

Oh yeah! Disc golf and brewing are a great combo. I've got to say I think I'm a better brewer than disc golfer but really enjoy both. I throw:

Nice line up! My Buzzz is one of my favorite mids. Never thrown the Backbone, but I have a T-Bone from QuestAT. Love that thing, especially on a windy or really humid day, the dimpled edge real helps cut through. :mug:

I've thrown my friend's buzz a few times and really liked it.
I really like my mako mid. Anyone else throw those? Pretty straight/nuetral.

How long have you been playing? I can barely throw my light valk without something of a meathook like fade.

I might be out in NE later this summer/fall to see my cousin. Maybe we can get a round and some beers in if it comes up. :)

I've thrown my friend's buzz a few times and really liked it.
I really like my mako mid. Anyone else throw those? Pretty straight/nuetral.

I love the Mako. It fits my hand perfectly and I can control the crap out of it. My bag:

Drivers: Pro Boss x 2; Pro Katana x 2; Pro Vulkan x 1
Mid's: Star Mako x 1; Max weight ROC x 1; Stratus x 1
Putter: Soft Magnet
Beer: Small cooler of homebrew. Can usually carry all those discs and 4 homebrews in my bag :rockin:

How long have you been playing? I can barely throw my light valk without something of a meathook like fade.

I might be out in NE later this summer/fall to see my cousin. Maybe we can get a round and some beers in if it comes up. :)

Definitely hit me up. If I have time we could go throw some. I've been throwing for 8-9 years and I'm solid, definitely not pro.

Got 18 in at our course earlier.
Man I sucked too. Too much nose up and I could hardly turn over any shots. I did manage two pretty decent annys. Parked one on edge of hill the basket sits halfway down, another one was more a safe play on our monster 855ft beast #15. I had to get around a hard right dogleg and after that it's about another 500' between a creek and really thick woods until the last6 150' or so is in a grove of big, tall, mature trees.
I'm going back tomorrow or maybe in a little bit here. I gotta get rid of that nose up. Ugh!

Got 18 in at our course earlier.
Man I sucked too. Too much nose up and I could hardly turn over any shots. I did manage two pretty decent annys. Parked one on edge of hill the basket sits halfway down, another one was more a safe play on our monster 855ft beast #15. I had to get around a hard right dogleg and after that it's about another 500' between a creek and really thick woods until the last6 150' or so is in a grove of big, tall, mature trees.
I'm going back tomorrow or maybe in a little bit here. I gotta get rid of that nose up. Ugh!

I get that too, when I haven't played in a bit. Mainly on my backhand. That ~855' sounds like a beast.

#15 tee. 90º dogleg right is at bottom of the hill by the trees in the middle of pic.

9fed434e.jpg

Basket to fairway, bottom of hill from tee is in middle way back at line of trees.

cf63a9f5.jpg

:rockin:

Like in the pic, DGCR. They have a full on searchable site for finding courses. Each has pics and player reviews and sometimes course maps.

17 is pretty tough too.

Basket is at top of the dirt path.

f3e436ab.jpg

Mid fairway:

520a55e6.jpg

Looks like a stellar course!! I love those bomber holes, let it all air out a couple few times before bringing' out the short discs. :rockin:

Is there anywhere to play in Houston? I used to play a lot in college!

Like Zul said, check out DGCourseReview.com, they have a search map, let's ya find anything around you. :mug:

Had a better round today. I think being a bit cooler helped some.
But here's the deal. I still got whooped my my friend that is throwing discs I let him borrow (his kid snatched his for now).
This is brutal. I'm being out driven by a guy that is throwing a 150 gram valkyrie frisbee style almost.
Granted I was mostly driving with 150 cobra and when I could actually get it to hyzer flip without turning over or treeing I was getting more distance than his goofy valk throw.
I guess I was seeing disc golf lines that I should hit and he was seeing nose up, huge fade lines.

But I am hooked. Having a course less than 5 miles away is way better than playing approach and putt shot with my portable basket around the yard/neighborhood and getting to another course every couple of weeks.
I had lots of bad throws today but I really only remember the good ones. Had an anny shot catch and roll right toward the creek and.......hit the old rusty shed that inexplicably sits by the edge of the water.

A few questions...
I am throwing about 180' - 200' with a standstill hyzer flip with lightweight cobra when I get good form (feels good and smooth for me at least. I throw my leopard about the same distance, one or the other may be a bit farther than the other from throw to throw. I can RHFH my glow champ monarch a bit farther on an S curve with (rare) good form. Maybe 225' I just can't throw my valks. My 172 glow (stamp rubbed off for dyeing) or even that 150 I lent to friend. Nose up and fade bites me every time, I don't have the snap for it I suppose.
Am I correct in thinking I should mostly be driving with my mids that I am getting basically the same distance from as my drivers?
Grrr!!! Why Leo no hyzer flip for 300'!?!?!

Seriously though, how do I throw mids and P&A high in air without throwing nose up?
I can control my anodes and mako pretty well but I need height to work lines. For me, height means nose up and that means stall and fade eventually.

Edit:
Ooops! I shouldn't be here at the computer. I have a portable basket in my yard and glow discs!.

300' is my balls out max. Mid 200s is what I average on straight out drives. And I still manage to fill my card with 4s. :eek: But, what helped me keep the nose down was this grip.

Take the disc, place it in your hand so the edge is between the web of your index and middle finger and follows your palm to the place where it creases at the base. Have your fingers all fanned out. This puts your index finger, thumb that meaty part of your palm all on top of the disc. It will actually be angled slightly up at this point. Now, wrap all your fingers, minus thumb, down and under the disc. This should pull the disc down. Press your thumb down on the top of the disc. Keep your wrist either straight level with the ground or angle it downward. This part of the grip is adjustable for user preference and angle desired.

This grip hasn't made me a Juliana Korver. That would require a scalpel and some medication anyway, but it has kept my discs from reaching low Earth orbit and crashing down short. I guess they fly at eye level to 10 feet. Maybe 11. Hard to tell since even the flat fairways on my home course have slight changes in elevation.

As for fairway vs distance driver, I dunno. I think you're more onto it by weight than designation. 150-170 is the throw it far weight I have the best time with.

The Leopard is a fairway driver now. It used to be tagged as a distance driver. Once I saw Leopards marked distance driver and learned those were older Leopards, I stopped putting so much faith in the designations between fairway and max distance. If it has a sharp edge, I figure it's a throw far disc.

Thanks, Z!
Yeah, I hear ya about the leo. Same with the cobras I mentioned. They used to be "distance drivers" too.
Weight surely factors in, but I am pretty sure without a certain level of arm speed and snap, discs will not fly as they are "supposed to".
I think "if it flies good, keep it" works, but I also want to get that max potential out of my discs and throws.
Ideally, I would be throwing my leo around 300' before I would even touch my monarch.
Monarch is getting more shaving cream/dye paint as we speak. :)

I would suggest trying some of the newer understable drivers, but not the overstable ones. Try a Vulkan, Roadrunner (not that new), Mamba. Combine that with the grip described above. The newer plastic is "faster" than the old Cobra or Leopard. This will help keep it down as it comes out of your hand faster with less chance to climb.

Check out the Innova disc comparison. Any disc with a negative turn is "supposed" to be understable. I would start with the -4's or -5's until you flip them everytime, then work up toward a Katana or someting in that range. Anything 0 or higher is only good to throw into a 30mph headwind LOL!!

I have a couple stable to overstable discs but I don't even throw 'em.
Can't throw my valks very well, my 172 glow champ or 150 DX, but I can throw my 166 Monarch better, and so so with my 150 sidewinder.
I think most of it is I am not usually smooth on all parts of my throw at the same time. I just gotta build up muscle memory rather than focusing on a single aspect each throw. Grip, weight shift, follow through, etc, I really need all of em don't I, haha.
Hyzer flips are fun, but I really should work on getting lines on flat throws.

Learned how to "turbo putt" last night.
Anyone do that? Hard to decribe.
Hand up by ear like you're carrying a tray like a waiter. Bottom of flight plate rests on thumb, first knuckles of 4 fingers on rim.
Kind of like throwing a ball and spinning a basketball. Forearm forward and spin with index finger by twisting wrist.
Strange shot, but fun and I think it might be useful for shorter uphill putts.

I think most of it is I am not usually smooth on all parts of my throw at the same time. I just gotta build up muscle memory rather than focusing on a single aspect each throw. Grip, weight shift, follow through, etc, I really need all of em don't I, haha.

It's all about muscle memory. When I haven't played regularly, I'm all over the f'n place, but if I stick to playing at least once a week my game is much more consistent, if not better.
I sort of approach it a lot like I approached pitching in little league and high school; I do everything the same, from the second I grab a disc and step up to throw. It kinda puts me in the same frame of mind each throw, lets me focus on just the throw I want to make.
Funny that you mention using the overhand putt uphill, the only time I use it is on a lie looking down right over the basket. Even then, I don't do it much as I totally suck at it. :rockin:

Played North Valley Park yesterday. Beast of a course, I did manage a couple birds, but had a few more boges to go with 'em. All in all, it was a good day out. Still working on the cross step, and when I can keep the nose down, I'm throwing my BH's much farther.

Played our back earlier today. I'm getting better drives now with my leo. Working on my x-step and getting a pretty straight hyzer flip with it.
Caught up with some younger guys all carrying a disc each.
Found one kid's Quest raging inferno for him twice. They were all throwing sky meathooks that hooked hard enough to roll a lot of the time. I didn't get a good look at exactly what the hell they were doing. Their 20 foot putts appeared to be spike hyzers. On 17 I got a good straight drive with my leo, then parked my axis about 30 feet up that hill right in the middle of the path. They appeared to be on their 3rd and 4th shots trying to get back into the fairway.
I don't care if it is hot, I'm playing after work again tomorrow.
If there's a group ahead and no one behind me, I might play best shot doubles by myself.

Haven't tried turbo putting. My usual putt is a light normal throw or a fore hand. Sometimes the 'from between the ankles like your trying to yank out a clump of Dallis grass and fling it across the yard' putt.

Haven't tried turbo putting. My usual putt is a light normal throw or a fore hand. Sometimes the 'from between the ankles like your trying to yank out a clump of Dallis grass and fling it across the yard' putt.

I had to do one of those earlier when I was stuck under some trees.
Barely missed it for par. Ugh!

I can't seem to putt FH, but it is my main throw for almost anything between 150' and 40'.
I've been out in the yard a bit this evening working on the turbo putt. I think I am better with it from 10'-25' or so, farther out than that and it is a toss up.

Ive been playing for 5 years now. Got fairly serious fir a few years, but mostly just a casual relaxing sport. I use innova discs. Pretty much the only thing i can get without ordering. I use the wraith as my driver. Earlier this year i lost my best broken in one that was about 4 years old. Wasn't a happy camper. As they break in they really become more understable. I didn't believe that before this disk (since it was the first that i had several generations of). If you dont believe it buy s couple dx plastics play a few rough rounds with one and then throw them both in the open.

I am still in the no ace club! A few close ones though. Its so disappointing to hear the chains on a blind hole, then run up and see it a few feet away.

Threw my best round at our course today. 71 playing rec pars. +4 on front 9 ties my best and I managed +1 on back 9 and even got par (7) on our monster 855' dogleg. Yay!
I guess that made up for throwing my $20 glow disc (that I also dyed) into the creek. (CFR glow champ monarch, quite stable for a monarch, turns but always flexes back for me, TOO MUCH this time, I'm thinking it is a standard monarch and will turn over for me, whoops)
I'm pretty sure I can find a kid down there or use a friend's kid to fish it out, I'll just offer kid a few bucks.
My putting has gotten better using the turbo putt. There was a group of players between 11 and 12 that saw me putt it on 11 for birdie, when I walked by them they were all trying it. I stopped and showed them how, then went on to tame that back 9 somewhat.
I was pretty consistently throwing around 180 - 200 feet on drives, I learned that I am pivoting on the ball of my foot and not the heel. Pivoting on the heel has gotten me more in the 200 - 230 foot range. I figure as I work out my form issues and improve my run-up I will gain more distance with each thing I get right.
I'll start playing the pro pars (same tees, just different par) when I can consistently and accurately drive 300'.
It is pretty strange, I'm not really that good but I think I could beat anyone I ran into out there. A couple out of towners and a couple locals I've met would probably go 50-50 with me.
Played most of the course with a younger guy and his girlfriend this morning, his 1st time playing it, his girlfriend didn't play. He only had one disc, but at least it wasn't a warp speed bomber driver like those other kids, he had a sensible fairway driver, Innova DX Eagle. I didn't keep his score but I threw a bit better than him.
A couple guys with their sons of around 8 to 10 throwing frisbees let me play through, the kids were looking through my bag and loved my marbled and painted orange and blue midrange. They all looked a bit stunned when I threw a sweet hyzer flip to bomb (for me) straight down the middle about 220'.
Yeah, I'm lame, hyzer flipping a 150g sidewinder a measly 220'.
I'm carrying 150 DX leo, 166 glow champ leo, & 150 DX sidewinder for drivers.
Mids are 172 mako and 174 axis.
Approach - 172 soft anode
putt (some approaches) 174 medium ion.

I lose a little bit of distance but gain in consistency with DX leo over sidewinder even though my leo is getting a bit flippy. Glow champ leo is much more stable, it hardly flips on me at all and only flips all the way over with grip lock. I might keep the leos and trade out the sidewinder for my glow champ teebird. It is more stable than the glow leo and works a decent flex shot or when I need hard fade left.
MIds are ok, but I need to get something more stable in there for headwinds, like my vector or my coyote (if I can find it).
Love this game!
Gonna look into some stencils for dyeing all this glow champ I have laying around!

Gonna check out this course tomorrow afternoon. Keep hearing great things, figure it's worth the drive to the south 'suburbs'. :tank:

Played that course last week, it was nice, short but technical enough to keep it fun. If you count all the 'gimme' par 4's, I threw -9, but since everything there should be a 3, I played =2.
Played this course while camping over the weekend. F'n gorgeous, good mix of technical holes and long, open bombers. It plays through some farmland outside of Alex, that whole area is full of glacial drumlins, kames and eskers, so there's tons of elevation change. The pictures on DGCourseReview don't do it justice al all, I'll take and post pics on the site later this summer when we go back up to that area for some more fishing/camping.

Sidewinder :D Dude I play with has one and threw it, laser beam straight, into a tree. "What kind of sidewinder moves that straight? They named this after the wrong kind of snake." :D

Played our front 9 after work and got my best @ +2.
Should have been -1 but hit basket or top ring on 3 putts.
I truly am getting a bit more distance on my drives pivoting on my heel, and pretty consistent with it.
I'm really liking my DX leo. I can flip it flat, turn it over, and maybe even turn it hard into a roller. I think it's mostly a matter of adjusting my hyzer angle and keeping the wind in mind.
I really like throwing rollers but have the hardest time keeping them straight.

edit:
I have a guy doing some stencils for me and may have more unstamped MVP discs on way for dyeing.
They're gonna be awesome if I don't mess 'em up.
Wish me luck, looking forward to showing them off.

I've been playing casually for about four years, used to live close to golden gate park in SF so I got 18 in on a weekly basis for a while. just got back from park city, UT and played the most fun course of my life at solitude. lost my favorite champion beast on hole 18 - nailed the drive but couldn't spot it down range and couldn't find it in some tall grass. you can check out some pics I took here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75340320@N05/sets/72157630832108302/

Back