Hydrometer calibration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Did a search and couldn't find anything on it but I just checked the calibration of my hydrometer and at 60 degrees its showing 1.002.

So, does that mean I have to adjust my readings by minusing .002 from my readings.

example: currently my FG is reading 1.018 at 70 degrees... so, I minus .002 from 1.018 to equal 1.016... then adjust for temp of water (70 degrees)... so my adjusted FG should be 1.017.

Is this correct??

cool... thanks.

This is a hefe I have currently in the primary (1 week as of today) Looks like fermentation has stopped... no bubbles. Why would the gravity be so high still?

My software shows it should be around 1.012.

I made a 2 quart starter... and aerated the hell out of it. Temp held at a even 68 degrees.

You think it will drop another 5 point in another few weeks?

I guess that means everyone should calibrate the hydrometer before using. Might save a alot of headaches :)

In the long run it seems like +_ 2 or even 6 points isn't going to make that much dif anyway. It is nice to know were you are but It is just beer afterall.:eek:

Brewsmith said:
Maybe your's was calibrated to 68? That would be about a point difference.

It says its calibrated at 60 degrees. Oh well... I will let it go another week and check it again.

I'm going to rain on this parade a little...apology in advance...

Unless you're really excited about hitting your predicted numbers EXACTLY, hydrometer calibration is a bit of a moot point. To measure ABV, you simply take the difference between OG and FG and apply a correction factor. The actual readings don't need to be accurate as long as they're consistent (same temp, or same temperature correction applied). To determine if fermentation is complete, you just need a hydrometer reading that is unchanged over time. Again, the exact specific gravity isn't required. RDWHAHB!

[hypocrite]
Now read the steam mashing thread and call me a hypocrite (a bunch of anal retentive math there). I suppose knowing if your hydrometer is accurate or not is a bit appealing to those of us who are a bit obsessive...
[/hypocrite]

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm going to rain on this parade a little...apology in advance...

Unless you're really excited about hitting your predicted numbers EXACTLY, hydrometer calibration is a bit of a moot point. To measure ABV, you simply take the difference between OG and FG and apply a correction factor. The actual readings don't need to be accurate as long as they're consistent (same temp, or same temperature correction applied). To determine if fermentation is complete, you just need a hydrometer reading that is unchanged over time. Again, the exact specific gravity isn't required. RDWHAHB!

[hypocrite]
Now read the steam mashing thread and call me a hypocrite (a bunch of anal retentive math there). I suppose knowing if your hydrometer is accurate or not is a bit appealing to those of us who are a bit obsessive...
[/hypocrite]
Great post.com

Back