Rogue Old Crustacean 2006

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyc

Reaction score
So today's the big 30 for me. 3 years ago when I started this hobby, and cellaring beers, I put a bottle of 2006 Old Crustacean Barley Wine away. It was the first beer that I put away to age. Specifically to drink today. Haven't cracked it open yet, but Im itching too. Ill put some notes up here later. Im pumped about tasting it!!! :ban:

:mug:Well you have one actual birthday, so HAPPY AFTERBIRTH!:D

Never drank Old Crustacean,need to do some R&D.

How was it? Still recovering?:tank:

LOL. No. Im quite recovered. It was a long night, and there was alot of beer consumed. Ended up at a bowling alley til like 3am. Don't remember how well I bowled. :drunk: But.....

This beer is awesome. I kind of regret opening it now, because there is no telling how many years this beer would hold up. Even after 4 years, its still aggressive. It poured a dark brown/copper with an extremely thin head, that quickly faded. Caramel, brown sugar?, honey, figs, were prevalent in the aroma, along with the floral aroma of the hops. The sweet stuff comes through first. But then I was completely taken away by how hoppy this beer still is. I mean I expected some bitterness. But honestly after 4 years in the bottle, I was expecting the malty sweetness to be most noticeable. Not the case. The finish was all hops. Don't get me wrong, it was still plenty sweet from the malt. But the hops really shine. Still.

If you have a couple of bottles of this vintage, crack one open. But if you only have one, Id say let it sit a little bit longer. I have a bottle of 2008 that I think Im gonna hold onto for a bit. To quote Garret Oliver on this beer, "Unless you're a committed hophead, I'd wait 5 years." I'd say it would definitely be worth the wait.

Luckily they are going to start putting this in nips again, which makes it more reasonable to buy a bunch every year. I have a few nips from the 90s.

I have a bottle of 2006 Old Crustacean floating around the house somewhere. I need to find it now. I actually am a committed hophead, so I may drink it pretty soon.

Sounds like a good time. I've got to try and find a bottle or two of this, sounds like good stuff. I can never seem to find it in my area.

Back