Caustic Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remuS

Reaction score
So I just got my first kegging system. I was pressed on time and I missed the part in the directions that said to rinse with hot water because of caustic cleaner. I sanitized with Iodophor, and I am wondering is my batch ruined? Will it have an odd taste, or have any harmful side effects if consumed?

Live in learn, either way.

Thanks
Brandon

there's not enough info here bud.

iodiphor is not a cleaner, let alone a caustic.

did you clean it first? if so with what??

I'll explain more. I ordered the kegs online... and the website says they clean the kegs with a caustic cleaner and to rinse them out with hot water BEFORE sanitizing. The step I missed was to rinse with hot water because of the caustic cleaner that they cleaned with. I did sanitize with Iodiphor, just did not rinse with hot water prior.

Brandon

I shook the iodiphor around for about a minute, then let the keg sit upside down. I then proceeded to run the ~2 gallons through the outline to drain the keg.

JVD_X, I appreciate your response. Anyone else agree/disagree?

Brandon

When you say outline do you mean you hooked up the beer line and ran it out of that? If so, did you hook up gas to push the iodophor through the beer line?

Yes, i hooked up the beer line and ran gas in to push out the 2 gallons or so of the iodophor solution.

I'd suspect it's about as safe as possible aside from actually taking it apart and really rinsing it. You might test the Ph and see if that's in line. I would suspect that the greatest risk is super low Ph causing internal injury otherwise it's probably just a risk of off flavors.

I doubt they used more than a 2% caustic solution. It would cause off flavors and not be a health issue. Iodophor will neutralize the caustic as well.

Back