organic northern pacific gem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgian wit and just bought 10 oz of centennial hops, and 10 oz of organic northern pacific gems, which would you prefer i use in this case? also does unmalted wheat classify as green or air dried grain? Thank you for any imput.

Life is A beer, enjoy it!

Both of those hops are very high in alpha acids and not to style for wit beers. They are more for use in pale ales and IPAs, whereas wit beers use milder hops like hallertaur and saaz. You can use em, and it'll be tasty, but if you're going for a wit beer style, it will have the added taste of fail.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by green or air dried grain? All grain is air dried, it's never used straight from the field, if that's what you're asking.

I was reading in the beer encyclopedia, and it mentioned under a Belgian wit that 50 % of the grain is green, There definition is air dried rather than kiln dried. good to know about the hops. Maybe I will go with a German or American weizen instead of Belgian. and the may classify with this style, just a thought.
And sorry, this thread was posted in the place, I noticed everyone talking about hop growing and not hop usage. A little late but I will post in recipes and Ingredient next time. Please forgive me for any confusion, and thanks again for any posts.

There is a time and season appointed to everything, Including styles of beer. Peace and one love

In the old days when barley was floor malted, it meant the barley was literally on the floor and it was constantly turned over with shovels as it dried to keep it from molding. Nowadays they use fancy machinery to dry it as it's malted, but some maltsters still do floor malting. So that may be the difference between air and kiln drying.

And yes, this should be in the Recipe section.

Back