Corny-friendly breweries/brewpubs in the Dc area.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like he title says, does anyone know of any breweries/brewpubs in the DC area that are Corny friendly? I finally finished building my keezer and want to try it out, but my lines are dry. I do have 2 Cornys keg conditioning as I type this, but want to watch delicious beer pour from my tap(s).

Seeing as I live in Alexandria, I tried calling Port City who said that it is against the agreement with their distributor to fill any sort of keg though they had never heard of the type of keg before, and Mad Fox told me on the phone that as long as it seals and they can fill it from their tap anything goes (then went on to tell me some guy came in before with something that looked like a oxygen tank that they filled). When I stopped by and asked the bartender he looked at me like I was crazy and said that there was no way they would do it. So, has anyone had any luck around here getting corny's filled? I really do not want to have to buy a commercial keg and transfer it to Corneys as my keezer does not look to be deep enough to hold a Sankey keg.

I can't help you, but FWIW a 1/6 bbl Sanke is just about the same size as a Corney! Go to your favorite beer shop and ask what they can get you, tons of microbreweries sell 1/6 (also called torpedo or sixtel) kegs. A sanke coupler is a good thing to have around anyway...

Now I am thinking this might be a topic that suits the general room better. If its moved I will not complain.

Really? I will have to look into it then. My thought process was that although I do have a sankey tap, I just don't want to burn double the gas to transfer a keg to corneys, and while looking up dimensions online I saw that the 15 gal kegs are 16.5 inches in diameter where the pony's at ~5 gal were the same, only shorter. Its a shame my keezer is only 15 inches. I hate coming up short. Maybe I should try some extenze or something...

Kegs-new.jpg

:mug:

Pony = 1/4 barrel, torpedo/sixtel=1/6 barrel. IME the slim 1/4s are almost impossible to find.

You need to find out when the brewer or manger is at mad fox. They aren't going to fill it at the bar. They will fill them from the serving tank but a bartender isn't going to do it.

Capital city may do it but I never tries them while living there.

Rock bottom does it out here so you could check with them.

VA has some strange laws so it wouldn't surprise me if most places don't.

Zachattack, that is spectacular. I am going to have to look for 6th's

When I called Cap City, apparently the owner/big boss guy said no go because it is a 'keg' and that is against their distributer agreement. I will have to check with the brewers at them though I hopefully will have my own tap ready beer soon.

I'm in the same boat as OP. Not sure I'd use Rock Bottom though, I like their beers, but always seem to get really hungover! I was thinking Cap City or DC Brau.

I would say that if you are going to Port City you should just buy a 1/6 of a keg... I live up the street and I am a Wort Hog. Bill Madden (Mad Fox) is a friend to the home brewers around here so I am not suprised they would be helpful.... the fact that they never heard of a Corny Keg at PC is strange.... must not have been any of the brewers...

I duh-know about Cap-City, Sweet Water, DC-Brau, Chocolate City, Lost Rhino or any of the others but I would think that you could get 1/6 kegs from Cap-City, DC-Brau, Chocolate City, or Lost Rhino since they distrubute. BUT THEN AGAIN I COULD BE WRONG,

Look at Total Beverage for 1/6 Kegs they have in the past sold Local-Beer and it should be cheaper that pouring it from a "tap".

Good luck in your beer search

I know that Fordham Brewery (Ram's Head tavern) sells 1/6 kegs of at least their Helles Lager and Copperhead Ale - saw them for sale at the local beer supermarket in Laurel, MD. They were about $70 each. Not sure if they'll sell directly, but I intend to find out if ever I get myself set up for kegging.

Back