American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to brew this in a 1 or 3 gallon batch. Any advice on how to downscale this recipe?

Thanks!

I already had this recipe saved in Ibrewmaster which allows you to scale it up or down. Do you have this program? If not tell me what size you want to do ,assuming all grain, and I'll scale it down later & send it to you. Let me know.

Gotta say, I've brewed a variation of this IPA 11 times now and it's great. The hops additions are dead on. This is always a big hit and doesn't hang around long enough. Actually I'm not telling folks when I keg it up any more.

Today my wonderful wife passed her federal mortgage licensing exam and we went to a local steakhouse to celebrate. To my delight they had Bell's Two Hearted IPA on tap. I had heard alot about this beer here on the forum and it was very tasty, however prior to leaving for the steakhouse I drank one of these homebrew IPA's that are now bottle conditioned. IMO, and only in my opinion, I liked my homebrew better. I couldn't believe that because I was so excited in seeing the Bells on tap at first, and it was great, but mine was a sharper hop taste & aroma and I liked it more............so thank you so very much for this recipe, it is a keeper and I see why you have won medals with it.

Today my wonderful wife passed her federal mortgage licensing exam and we went to a local steakhouse to celebrate. To my delight they had Bell's Two Hearted IPA on tap. I had heard alot about this beer here on the forum and it was very tasty, however prior to leaving for the steakhouse I drank one of these homebrew IPA's that are now bottle conditioned. IMO, and only in my opinion, I liked my homebrew better. I couldn't believe that because I was so excited in seeing the Bells on tap at first, and it was great, but mine was a sharper hop taste & aroma and I liked it more............so thank you so very much for this recipe, it is a keeper and I see why you have won medals with it.

That's cause you are brewing Good Beer with a Great Recipe. Not knocking Bell's, I love it. I just read all the pages of this thread and I have been jealous listening (reading) to all of you and I first thought I was going to wait until all of my homegrown hops are ready this year but I can't. IT MUST BE BREWED THIS WEEKEND! :tank:

Drinking a couple of huge 32 oz. mugs of this while watching my Rays. This stuff is awesome, first batch I didn't give any away.....it's all mine hahahaha!

This recipe sounds great & I will be attempting it this weekend. Any thoughts on what an addition of a little honey at flameout might do? Is that too weird?

mattyg said:
This recipe sounds great & I will be attempting it this weekend. Any thoughts on what an addition of a little honey at flameout might do? Is that too weird?

I don't think it's weird, just unnecessary. Honey has a hard time coming through in any beer. I've added honey a few times to different beers and have never really noticed it enough. Honey malt on the other hand, can honey up a beer proper. If you really want to put it in, it shouldn't hurt anything.

Do what you will, that's the point of brewing your own beer, but if your looking for a really great Amer. IPA brew this as the OP wrote then play with the recipe the next time around. I feel strongly that this recipe deserves to be brewed as is at least once, I feel it's that good, IMO. I asked earlier in the thread about upping the IBUs by doing more hop addition and I am glad I did not do it. Just my 2 cents. Good brewing!

Yeah, I thought it over and figured I better make the actual recipe first before I go tweaking it. Brewed Saturday and missed OG by a few points. Oh well, I'm sure it'll still be tasty. Fermentation is currently rockin' with a 2 day starter.

plainbrad said:
I brewed this a while ago and everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, who has had one, loves this beer. Thank you for the recipe.

I'm transferring this to a secondary and dry hopping tonite I'm anxious to taste the final product

Brewing this on Sat but will substitute Breiss for Rahr due to inventory...it should be dead on though, right?

Thank you for posting this, having a pint put of the keg now. It is not fully carbed, but the taste is awesome!

Sweet malt backbone with a very pleasant hop aftertaste. Extremely balanced..

Brewing this tomorrow, although I have a question about the yeast. I bought two vials of the White Labs California Ale, and I created an 800ml starter with only one of the yeast vials. I literally just made the starter, and I planned on brewing tomorrow.

My question is, is the starter sufficient for the beer, and I can save the 2nd vial of yeast? Or should I combine them? Any tips here would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Recently brewed this one and OG hit 1.070. Mash out looked and smelled great. Paying closer attention to strike temp appears to have paid off. Looking forward to taste test.

I used one vial with a 1.5 l starter and it took off in 4hrs and hit my target fg. Beer is nice I used mo as the base and hopped as per the recipe it's about a week in the keg not carb'd enough and still a bit sharp but definitely drinkable and an abv of about 8% next up is a dfh 90 or maybe a Belgian ale. Any suggestions on a Belgian recipe?

How long until my starter is ready? I did one vial of the California Ale in about 800mL of water, with 1/3-1/2 cup DME. It's been about 18 hours since I made the starter. Anyone?

MacAztec said:
How long until my starter is ready? I did one vial of the California Ale in about 800mL of water, with 1/3-1/2 cup DME. It's been about 18 hours since I made the starter. Anyone?

18-24 hrs on a stir plate and you are good.

MacAztec said:
What if I let it go like 36 hours? Can I still use it?

Yes. Perfectly fine. 18-24 is just kind of a minimum to get maximum yeast growth.

Been 6 days fermenting and gravity down from 1.070 to 1.018. Tasted the hydro sample and the flavor is very good. Look forward to drinking the complete carbed version.

Brewed: 4/16/2012
Dry hopped: 4/23/2012
Bottled: 4/30/2012

This beer seems to be in its prime right now (5/19/2012). So far, at least. Very, very good. Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks for posting this recipe, turned out amazing!

8PenYN9Z

Nemleu said:
I’ve read yeast strains used have been WLP001, and Wyeast1056. Have any of you used US-05 with this beer?

The batch I made was with -05, it turned out pretty darn good. See the picture above your post on the end result.

Nemleu said:
I’ve read yeast strains used have been WLP001, and Wyeast1056. Have any of you used US-05 with this beer?

That's all I ever use. I've experimented with all of them. No one will ever be able to convince they can actually taste the difference.

I just used BeerSmith to convert your recipe to extract with steeping grains and am planning on brewing this in two weeks. I'm going to use Wyeast 1056 - do you think it would be prudent to pitch two packages since I don't use a yeast starter at this point in my brewing career or will one smack pack suffice?
With all the glowing reviews, I am excited to make this recipe. Thanks a million for sharing!
Cheers!

Can someone put this recipe up as extract for me
As I don't have access to a program that does this ? And I new to this game so I am not up to AG yet, small steps. Lol. Cheers

dougmaher434 said:
I just brewed an extract version of this beer. It turned out pretty good by the gravity turned out lower than I expected 1.060.
Grain:
9lb. Pale Malt Extract
4 oz. Wheat Malt Extract
Specialty Grains:
1 lb. Carapils
Hops:
30 Minute: 1.5 oz. Chinook, 2 oz. Cascades.
15 Minute: 2 oz. Cascade, 1 oz. Willamette
5 Minute: 1 oz. Willamette.
I will dry hop 14 days with 2 oz. Cascades

I used a starter of White Labs San Diego Super Yeast.

I almost decided to replace Willamette with Citra hops but couldn't find em' at my organic Homebrew store.

It's fermenting like crazy at 67 degrees.

Here's an extract version from earlier in the thread. It is really similar to what BeerSmith gave me when I ran the conversion from enochs original all grain recipe. Since I haven't brewed my extract version yet, I don't want to post it as it may need tweaks that will only be apparent once I have it brewed.
If you want a close approximation, I would go ahead and use what dougmaher434 posted (see above) and tweak it to your taste from there.
Cheers!

No problem - post back with how it turns out. I have a pretty busy brew schedule coming up but I might have to squeeze this one in sooner rather than later.
Happy Brewing!

Latest posts

Back