critque my IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straycat

Reaction score
American IPA - full boil, 50% LME at flameout
=================================================
Batch Size: 5.000 gal
Boil Size: 5.500 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 70%%
OG: 1.075
FG: 1.019
ABV: 7.3%%
Bitterness: 74.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 13 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Liquid Extract (LME) - Pale Extract 5.000 lb No No 78%% 8 L
Liquid Extract (LME) - Pale Extract 5.000 lb No Yes 78%% 8 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 8.000 oz No No 74%% 60 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 8.000 oz No No 72%% 2 L
Total grain: 11.000 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Chinook 13.0%% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 49.6
Chinook 13.0%% 1.000 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 24.6
Chinook 13.0%% 1.000 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Chinook 13.0%% 1.000 oz dry hop 7-10 days

Yeast
==================================================
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Sounds pretty yummy. If I were to make any changes, it would be to a more floral or citrus aroma hop. If you're going for a very in-your-face hop profile, however, I like your current recipe.

i've got some Centennial. maybe add an oz at flameout and another in oz the dry hop. thoughts?

Subbing the Centennial at flameout and/or for dry hopping will reduce some of the more robust, earthy/smoky aroma that the Chinook would give off.

What kind of hop profile are you going for? Do you want a heavy hitter all around, or do you want something that is strong on the palette yet refreshing on the nose? Perhaps a mixture of these?

probably this -> Perhaps a mixture of these. this is my first time using chinook. thinking maybe substitute the flameout Chinook for centennial and add another oz to the Chinook dry hop. or do i change the flameout centennial to like 5 or 10?

1oz chinook @ 60
1oz chinook @ 15
1oz centennial @ 10 or 5 or 0?

dry hop with 1oz centennial and 1 oz chinook

I'd go with the Centennial at 0 minutes, and dry hop with 1 oz of Centennial and 1oz of Chinook. That should give you a strong yet fresh hop aroma in the nose and a hefty profile in the mouth. Should be pretty good!

alright Xaphoeous, that sounds like a good idea. thanks for the feedback, i'll post back when i brew it (most likely this weekend) and then again when it's ready to serve.

1oz chinook @ 60
1oz chinook @ 15
1oz centennial @ 0
dry hop with 1oz centennial and 1 oz chinook

i'd go with the centennial at 0 minutes, and dry hop with 1 oz of centennial and 1oz of chinook. That should give you a strong yet fresh hop aroma in the nose and a hefty profile in the mouth. Should be pretty good!

+1

UPDATE ->
brewed 2-9-12
kegged 3-3-12
dry hopped 3-18-12 with 1oz chinook and 1 oz centennial

so far looking and smelling great. i'll drop the keg into the fridge later this week and report back next week when i tap it.

Back