which coil for my herms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wncbrewer

Reaction score
I have two coild laying around and I can't decide which to use for my heat echanger on my upcoming herms build. One is 1/2" copper about 30 feet long and the other is 1/4 " stainless about 50 feet long. I like the idea of the stainless one, but I'm am afraid 1/4 is gonna be too small.

I have two coild laying around and I can't decide which to use for my heat echanger on my upcoming herms build. One is 1/2" copper about 30 feet long and the other is 1/4 " stainless about 50 feet long. I like the idea of the stainless one, but I'm am afraid 1/4 is gonna be too small.

I'd go with the 1/2" copper. Heat transfer through copper is better, and like you said 50' of 1/4" is too small and will restrict your flow a lot.

My herms is 3/8", I wouldn't go any smaller than that. It is actually the perfect size, I can run my pump wide open to recirculate, no fiddling with flow rates.

Back