New Kegerator Woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwcrall

Reaction score
Hi. I just transferred my kegs into my new Kegerator I got for Christmas, and I am having problems. The kegs of IPA were originally in a refrigerator at 41F with picnic style taps on 15' of 3/16" line. The pour was perfect with about an 1" of head, good retention, and cling. I put the kegs into the Kegerator at 41F. The new lines are 3/16" but only 3' long. I was worried about foam with the short lines, but instead the beer is dead flat. I am using the same regulator set to 12 psi, and I rechecked both refrigerators are reliably holding 41F. I reconnected the picnic taps, and now they too are serving flat beer. Since I was getting good pours, I don't want to start screwing around with the pressure. I am sure I jostled the kegs moving them around, but that was three days ago. Any ideas?

I dont really have a solution sorry but wanted to comment

15 foot lines holy crap thats alot.

im sure one of the other experts will chime in soon.
I use 4 foot of 3/16th line and have perfect pours.
does your bleed valve show any pressure when you open it.
How long have your kegs been on the gas in the new system?

I had problems with wild beer on the picnic lines, so I just kept increasing the length until I got good pours. I make mostly big IPA's, so they might have a lot of proteins left over or something. The last 5 kegs had good pours on the old system. The kegs have been in the new Kegerator for 3 days, but they are on the same regulator from the old system.

Yes, the bleed valve shows pressure and the valve to the tank is open.

Were the kegs disconnected from the gas for a few days or more during the swap to the new kegerator? If so, and there was a leak, they could have lost their carbonation. Differences in the serving line don't change the carbonation level in the beer. They can cause you to lose carbonation in the form of foam if they're too short for the pressure and temp, but that's about it. Sounds to me like your beer lost whatever carbonation it had somehow. What pressure are you serving at? At a warmer temp like 41° your initial thought that 3' lines are too short is correct. You'll likely need 10' or more once the beer regains it's carbonation.

Well, that's the mystery. The lines were only disconnected for a couple of hours. The keg has had 12 psi on it for two weeks before the switch, and three days after. I can't find any reason for the amount of C02 in the beer to of changed. I am wondering if the beer itself is still changing. It is 40 days old.

Back