Hydrating (aroma) Hops Pellets (Do You?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I decided to try a new techinque for maximizing my flavor / aroma hops by hydrating my pellets in cool water about 20 minutes prior to adding at their designated times.

I figured that pellet shops added at flame out spend a fair amount of time just hydrating and breaking down. So, why not get a jump on that process prior to adding them.

Any one els ever hydrate their hops (whole or pellet) prior to adding for aroma or flavor?

hydratedhops1.jpg

hydratedhops2.jpg

hydratedhops3.jpg

Try it with boiling water and see how long it takes, compared to the cool water in your example.
Just one more thing to clean up, if you ask me. ;)

I don't hydrate my aroma hops. but I do find that this is a great technique for dry hopping. Just add a wee bit of boiling water (just enough to cover the pellets) and let them stand for 5 mins, then pitch the whole thing into the fermenter. The hot water helps release a lot of the resins and aromatics much better than if they were added directly into a cool fermenter alone.

I got this idea off a podcast on Basic Brewing Radio -- I think it was the Gerard Lemmens episode (1 Sept. 2005).

FlyGuy said:
I don't hydrate my aroma hops. but I do find that this is a great technique for dry hopping. Just add a wee bit of boiling water (just enough to cover the pellets) and let them stand for 5 mins, then pitch the whole thing into the fermenter. The hot water helps release a lot of the resins and aromatics much better than if they were added directly into a cool fermenter alone.

I got this idea off a podcast on Basic Brewing Radio -- I think it was the Gerard Lemmens episode (1 Sept. 2005).

I'm going to try that next time. Thanks for the tip. :mug:

FlyGuy said:

I read your post and thought "what a great idea".

Then I had a few beers.

Then I went downstairs and pitched a half-ounce of Mt. Hood Pellets into two of my fermenters that had a pale ale conditioning....

Pitched em dry. :mad:

I really need to not be allowed to do any brewing tasks after drinking. :cross:

I did a search for this topic, because I had a thought about this. I do most of my brewing with pellet hops, but I do grow a little of my own. I have Cascade, Centennial, Nugget, Willamette and Columbus. I dry and freeze them for later brews.

The problem with whole hops, especially those that were dried, is that they soak up a ton of wort. I don't bitter with my own hops, but I do add a lot post 30 mins. Would there be a benefit to rehydrating them simply so they don't soak up so much wort in the process?

It's nothing new, IIRC Pliney clone recipes call for this technique for the two stage dry hopping. So if Russian River practices it then it has to be a winner. It just seems so messy so I personally have never tried it.

It's nothing new, IIRC Pliney clone recipes call for this technique for the two stage dry hopping. So if Russian River practices it then it has to be a winner. It just seems so messy so I personally have never tried it.

10 year old thread, may not have been as well known back then :p

So what’s the current consensus then? Worth it or not? Seems you’d have to water it down a lot in order to not leave a bunch in the glass.

Didn't read any results, never have tried it. But, how long does it really take pellet hops to break up? I put mine in a paint strainer bag, dunk it in the boil or even after flameout. Swirl a bit, lift the bag and there is just hop goo... Seconds at best. To me it is as was said in 2008, just another thing that you have to clean.

Back