full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
I was considering buying a turkey frier for full boiling. Is this a good idea? Pros / cons? Thanks.

Yes it's a good idea, I use a Bayou Classic sq14 and it brings a 7 gal wort to boil no problem. Plus brew outside now so my wife is happy, full boil brewing so I'm happy, really a win win. If your pot is a 10 gallon or bigger would be a concern, but I'd definitely go for it.

Last summer, I did a 10 gal batch in my 15 gal pot on my cheap Walmart turkey fryer. Actually, I did it twice in the same day! :D (I usually do 5 gal batches)

I use a turkey fryer and do BIAB full volume in it. I have to be careful not to boil over at hot break and have some limitation on how big a beer I can make in it. The pot on mine is 30 qt.

I am about to make the switch to BIAB and convert a keg I have into a kettle. So now I am looking for a burner and was wondering if anyone has had an issue with weight using the burner from the Turkey fryer? Keg = ? Water = 8 lb a gal plus grains can add up quick.

Euphist said:
Those 10 gal. batches I did above were BIAB with a commercial grade 60 qt stock pot.

Thanks, I figured it would suitable but wanted to make sure before I bought one.

OT but does anyone have any idea how many batches a propane tank is good for?

WAY too many variables. Outside temp, wind, size of pot, batch size, etc.

I would, however, recommend having two propane tanks. That way if you run out mid boil, you can swap and continue. It's also nice if you have a propane grill...I always seem to runout when I've invited friends over for a cook-out.

bleme said:
OT but does anyone have any idea how many batches a propane tank is good for?

I heat about 5-8 gallons of strike water to around 168-170, then reheat another 5 gallons of sparge water to 170; then typically do a 60 minute boil on 7.45 gallons of wort. And my tank usually lasts 3 batches. But with BIAB, I would imagine that would stretch (for me) to about 5-6 batches.

Back