Sushi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dataz722

Reaction score
Ok, so as to not derail another thread too much, who here has made their own sushi?

I have been thinking about it a lot lately and will probably give it a shot soon since I found a monger near where I just moved to that has a few different sushi grade tunas for $9-14/lb.

Ok, so as to not derail another thread too much, who here has made their own sushi?

I have been thinking about it a lot lately and will probably give it a shot soon since I found a monger near where I just moved to that has a few different sushi grade tunas for $9-14/lb.

Wife did it for a while but gave up. Was more difficult sourcing a good Sushi rice (and getting it cooked right each time) than it was sourcing uber fresh fish/seafood.

Rolling it was easy. Cutting it clean not so much. Of course, our knives are crap compared to the razors edge you prolly keep on yours.

Oh, and before you roll one up. Try a variety of the seaweed wraps, if you are doing rolls, on their own. Some were really nasty.

Wife did it for a while but gave up. Was more difficult sourcing a good Sushi rice (and getting it cooked right each time) than it was sourcing uber fresh fish/seafood.

Rolling it was easy. Cutting it clean not so much. Of course, our knives are crap compared to the razors edge you prolly keep on yours.

Oh, and before you roll one up. Try a variety of the seaweed wraps, if you are doing rolls, on their own. Some were really nasty.

I have some really good sushi rice but treating it right and adding the right mixture of mirin and whatnot I am a little worried about screwing up.

And I didn't there were really much variety with the wraps. Good to know.

I love it and helped a friend make it once. Way too much work for me. At least if I spend 4 hours brewing beer, it takes me some time to drink it. With sushi, hours of work and I've eaten it all in 10 minutes!

I have a few times, not nearly enough as I'd like. I think the key is definitely the rice. My wife bought this book for me along with a bamboo rolling mat and kit for making rolls.

image-734173806.jpg

The instructions for the rice in it really helped. That's really the only thing I use it for since I generally don't follow recipes but either make my own or wing it. Also it helps to have a very sharp knife. Good luck with your sushi making. It can be labor intensive and time consuming, but its worth it.

My wife is Japanese, so we make it somewhat regularly, although not nearly as often as curry or other Japanese foods. In fact I just made some quick sushi a couple of days ago because I have been trying to whittle down a bunch of the stuff that's been hanging around in our fridge & cupboards a little long, and the sushi nori was on the list. I don't really get the "hours of work" comments. Granted, I have a rice cooker so that part is taken care of for me, but once the rice is cooked it took me all of about 10 minutes to make up a few rolls of sushi to snack on while I was in the middle of a conference call.

They sell "sushi su" in Japanese markets, which is essentially pre-mixed in the right ratio for making sushi rice, although I am pretty good at eyeballing it with regular sake vinegar and mirin, too. My wife goes the whole 10 yards and stands there with an uchiwa cooling off the rice when she makes the sushi meshi, but I am of the more practical "stick it in the fridge for a while" camp.

I have a few times, not nearly enough as I'd like. I think the key is definitely the rice. My wife bought this book for me along with a bamboo rolling mat and kit for making rolls.

View attachment 78264

The instructions for the rice in it really helped. That's really the only thing I use it for since I generally don't follow recipes but either make my own or wing it. Also it helps to have a very sharp knife. Good luck with your sushi making. It can be labor intensive and time consuming, but its worth it.

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

To me the rice is one of the biggest keys to the final product. There are sushi places around here that I just will not go to because their rice sucks.

My wife goes the whole 10 yards and stands there with an uchiwa cooling off the rice when she makes the sushi meshi,

Yeah, that would be me. :eek:

Back