Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is my infection:/
can be it dangerous to drink?

Did spiders get a hold of your beer? Looks like a family of spiders made their home on top of your beer lol

As for drinking, I wouldn't say its dangerous, its just the matter of whether your stomach can take the funky sourness that may come from it.

My first thought was that looks f'n weird. My second thought was that one of the best brews I made had some real weird mold island in the middle of it, floating on top, before I kegged it. It had a rubbery feel, no clue what it was, but I drank it, delicious, best mouthfeel I've ever had. So... I'd say take that **** off, take a brave taste, and see what you think, comparing it to other warm, in carbonated beers you've had.

sentfromspain said:
I brewed a batch with raisins 2 weeks ago. Today the brew has a bunch of abnormally large bubbles, and if they break they leave a kind of film. Smell isnt too inspiring either.

Same thing happened to a stout of mine that I added vanilla to. Guess it's bad luck for me to add non-grain ingedients.

That sounds like a Brett infection to me; I have a couple test batches going with that exact effect from a Brett culture I cultivated out of some Russian river bottle.

smagee said:
nothing that can grow in beer will be toxic to humans. As for whether it is palatable...

What if I dropped a log in someone's bucket though? Would the beer eventually kill the E.Coli and whatever else calls my bowels home?

They are saying that it will not grow... but whether or not it will survive is another question. I really don't think that I would want to find a used peanut in a poured beer, and I am sure that it will not smell very good, so I would highly reccomend that this is not an experiment to attempt.

Just my $0.02

Edit: I cant spell, and to think i misspelled the word 'beer'. embarassing

I cant imagine how any cloudy brown disolved poopy would taste in a beer. Knasty.

Hello, I've got some light brown "Discs" floating on top of my beer. It's premier malt/hop syrup only and this is my first dance with beer, although I have done cider and hard lemonade before.

I saw this post on infections, and decided to crack open my bucket. There's bubbles like I'd expect, but the brown/tan floaties on top I did not.

No white feathery or web like infections like I've seen in here, it's just clumps and discs. Any ideas?

It SOUNDS like yeast rafts but without pictures we cannot determine that for you.

How's it smell?

Hello, I've got some light brown "Discs" floating on top of my beer. It's premier malt/hop syrup only and this is my first dance with beer, although I have done cider and hard lemonade before.

I saw this post on infections, and decided to crack open my bucket. There's bubbles like I'd expect, but the brown/tan floaties on top I did not.

No white feathery or web like infections like I've seen in here, it's just clumps and discs. Any ideas?

can't tell without pictures but it sounds like Yeast rafts to me

Any ideas what bug this is?

Thx
T

image-373238085.jpg

Started making some ciders, inside the neck of my carboy there are some white splotches...its not on the cider itself so im hoping if it is an infection it cant get down to the liquid with all the CO2 going since its fermenting quite furiously.

Not sure if i should try wetting something in starsan and then trying to wipe it out...or just let it sit for the next 4-5 months with the CO2 blanket and hope if it is an infection it doesnt get in...

Although is it possible for an infection to take hold after the beer has already fermented out all of the sugars?

I hope this is not considered thread jacking.

how long does it take for the beer to turn sour or rancid whatever.....
and will it continue in the bottle if most things cant grow in c02?
should "infected" beer be bottled post haste or leave in carboy or....??
mine with the lacto white film and bubbly ( ring around the carboy)taste sweet.
thats the off flavour for now.
that must change huh?

It still tastes fine, which is why I'm curious what it is.

It's what my mom would call a science experience when I was a kid before throwing it out. Informally I would call it a type of mold.

Will this ever be drinkable. I have 3 batches that are 6 weeks and taste sour. I kegged at 4 weeks and saved the trub, because I knew something wasn't right. I've got plenty of kegs so I can sit on it as long as it takes. But is there any need to keep it?

mold 002.jpg

mold 003.jpg

I have what looks like a Lacto infection on my gruit ale (in primary for 12 days). It smelled most foul on Friday, so I was about to toss it before the weekend but was otherwise occupied, forcing me to RDWHAHB. Today I checked and it sure as heck had the typical Lacto layer on top. What's more, when I opened the lid a fruity, banana-y smell started to waft through my cellar, only traces of foulness remain. I guess I'll just let it rest until after I can rack my vanilla bock so as to avoid cross-contamination. If it smells alright I'll probably bottle using PET-bottles to prevent bombs.
Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it. those look like yeast rafts. just seal it up and let her rip for at least another week till you take a gravity reading.

How important is taking the gravity measures? I haven't bought a device. Previously after about two weeks with the cider I'd start pouring and drinking.

I planned on letting the beer go until it tapers off carbon dioxide production and just bottling it according to premier's directions. I think 1/8th a tsp of sugar in the bottle and cap it.

How important is taking the gravity measures? I haven't bought a device. Previously after about two weeks with the cider I'd start pouring and drinking.

I planned on letting the beer go until it tapers off carbon dioxide production and just bottling it according to premier's directions. I think 1/8th a tsp of sugar in the bottle and cap it.

Well you can't know for sure if your fermentation is complete without taking gravity readings. Also, that's how you would calculate your ABV.

Just racked my saison beer into secondary yesterday and about 24 h later i return to see the glass carboy and notice that the beer has sedimented alot to the bottom but there are little white spots on the top of the liquid is this normal ??

I'm a noob brewer and my beer was AG

Just racked my saison beer into secondary yesterday and about 24 h later i return to see the glass carboy and notice that the beer has sedimented alot to the bottom but there are little white spots on the top of the liquid is this normal ??

I'm a noob brewer and my beer was AG

Prolly just co2 yeast rafts, look closely are there tiny bubbles? Absolutely normal.:mug:

Hello fellow brewers, I hope you will forgive a newbie if this is the wrong forum for my question. I have brewed a few nut browns, a wheat, a killer chocolate stout and a tripel. Rather than leave well enough alone, I tweaked the stout extract recipe to use semi-sweet chocolate instead of baking chocolate in the wort. I had it in the primary for a week, then a clear tank for week before bottling. I was rushing to get it done I know. When I bottled, there were some faint white lines on top of the wort. Enough that I noticed, but nothing gross. Looked like milk. When I bottled I had some bubbles whereas I had not had that before. I racked from underneath and it had a thin ring on top of the bottle after bottling.

2 weeks in the bottle now and most of the bottles now have what looks like a 1/2" variable thickness floater at the top. Best descriptionis egg whites. Did I get a lacto infection? I keep things very clean, my wife jokes I am prepping the kitchen for a birth, so I am concerned my fairly new equipment is now ruined? Please help, I am currently drinking a Budweiser and bummed.

Thank you!

If I bottle my infected brew is my bottling bucket at risk of harboring the bacteria/mold and contaminating my other beers when I bottle them?

And...a monster of an infection. My infected Rye Saison

2012-08-01_10-02-59_41.jpg
[/QUOTE]

My mouth is just watering looking at that!

If I bottle my infected brew is my bottling bucket at risk of harboring the bacteria/mold and contaminating my other beers when I bottle them?

Yes Make sure you take off the spigot and clean and sanitize real well. I would bleach bomb your bucket and the spigot then rinse well. You should be ok after that.

Hello fellow brewers, I hope you will forgive a newbie if this is the wrong forum for my question. I have brewed a few nut browns, a wheat, a killer chocolate stout and a tripel. Rather than leave well enough alone, I tweaked the stout extract recipe to use semi-sweet chocolate instead of baking chocolate in the wort. I had it in the primary for a week, then a clear tank for week before bottling. I was rushing to get it done I know. When I bottled, there were some faint white lines on top of the wort. Enough that I noticed, but nothing gross. Looked like milk. When I bottled I had some bubbles whereas I had not had that before. I racked from underneath and it had a thin ring on top of the bottle after bottling.

2 weeks in the bottle now and most of the bottles now have what looks like a 1/2" variable thickness floater at the top. Best descriptionis egg whites. Did I get a lacto infection? I keep things very clean, my wife jokes I am prepping the kitchen for a birth, so I am concerned my fairly new equipment is now ruined? Please help, I am currently drinking a Budweiser and bummed.

Thank you!
Any help is appreciated - thank you!

Any help is appreciated - thank you!

For starters, what does it taste like, smell like? is it any good? A pelicle in a bottle is something new to me. half inch seems like a lot also, if you have that much bacteria in it they will probably turn into bottle bombs so be prepared

edit: btw, wheres the pic?

KaSaBiS said:
For starters, what does it taste like, smell like? is it any good? A pelicle in a bottle is something new to me. half inch seems like a lot also, if you have that much bacteria in it they will probably turn into bottle bombs so be prepared

edit: btw, wheres the pic?

I can't get a pic as the activity is below surface in amber bottles, so beyond my skill set. I did man up, chill it and pour a 16 oz. I was prepped or bottle bombs, but if anything it had less head than my last batch. It seemed to drop the top mess when I chilled it (second in freezer chilling now). Thin, creamy stable head, great chocolate flavor - ideal until last 2 swallows and it hinted at sour at the inside of my mouth at the jaw joint. I was fired up until that point, but maybe I am being a spaz and seeking an infection/disappointment?

crazyworld said:
I've got a stout that has a pellicle that looks just like that (accidentally). Did you pitch that 'infection' yourself and what yeast did you use?

My log iis at work,but I think wyeast? I can't believe I can't find my beer log!

I've got a stout that has a pellicle that looks just like that (accidentally). Did you pitch that 'infection' yourself and what yeast did you use?

It was accidentally. I was culturing some wild yeast blends a friend of mine is working with, I think it had some "Fantom Saison" yeast in there as well, I think that the airlock when dry and I got those wild beasties in my house now. The seal on that 12gal fermenter isn't air tight, so I imagine that is how it became infected. Otherwise, this was just pitched with regular ole' 3711.

I pulled some out from under the ugly. Different kind of taste. Very light bodied and a slightly "Fruity Pebbles" taste to it.

My beer looks like a lunar landscape. Saw a pic exactly like mine in one of the first threads. It was one of "Evan"'s threads and pics he said it was " it's probably infected with brett, lactic bacteria, or some other kind of similar stuff."

Mine is an irish red ale, my own receipe. I used wyeast 1098 a british ale yeast. All
I want to know is do I have to throw it away? Is it going to be sour in a bad way? Or can I still drink it?

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

I pulled some out from under the ugly. Different kind of taste. Very light bodied and a slightly "Fruity Pebbles" taste to it.

Hmmm. I noticed mine was slightly light bodied and fruity too but I'll never know with the fruit as mine had 4 lbs of cherries added to it. If I like the beer, I very well may save the yeast and use it in future batches.

I'm almost positive my infection didn't come from my fruit addition (I heat treated the fruit before adding) but rather came from a fruit fly I found floating in my beer after I noticed more than a dozen dead ones floating in the airlock. This was after moving it downstairs for better temp management so I'm not sure if the fly made his way in or I got a suckback from the fermenter cooling down. Either way, I'm assuming it is brett which is commonly spread by fruit flies.

Back