Goodness...Anheuser makes alot of "stuff"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyD

Reaction score
But is any of it good? had stella before and bud but all the others?

(my surname is "Dannhauser" wonder if there is any claim possble to this beer empire? I might be a billionair and not even know it :cross:)

"Good" is too subjective a question.

Given their sales volume, there is yet to be a global concensus that it is crap.

As for my view, BMC has a time and a place.

Redbridge is pretty good in my opinion.

As they have a partial ownership in Goose Island, I would say Goose Island makes some pretty good stuff.

As far a Lager's go, I enjoy Land Shark Lager.. If it wasn't obvious already.

Boddington's Pub Ale isn't bad either.

BYW, Beer Wars is pretty informative, but a little biased... There are some flawed arguments in it.

i was watching a documentary on AB last night, and just because the AB-InBev stamp is on something, doesn't mean it's garbage. They buy up stuff, or at least "interest" in a brewery, then let the brewery alone to do it's thing.
For a long time, they were the biggest game in the world, and they got that way by appealing to the LCD (lowest common denominator). while i don't ENJOY a bmc like i do a more personally crafted beer, it is definitely "drinkable".

Redbridge is pretty good in my opinion.

As they have a partial ownership in Goose Island, I would say Goose Island makes some pretty good stuff.

As far a Lager's go, I enjoy Land Shark Lager.. If it wasn't obvious already.

Boddington's Pub Ale isn't bad either.

BYW, Beer Wars is pretty informative, but a little biased... There are some flawed arguments in it.

Everyone has their own opinions, but trying to be objective as possible and trying to take into account the brewer's intent, Boddington's is just absolutely terrible.

NCBeernut said:
Everyone has their own opinions, but trying to be objective as possible and trying to take into account the brewer's intent, Boddington's is just absolutely terrible.

Before it was taken over Boddingtons was my all time favorite. Then the taste changed and I didn't know why. I still like it, just not as much as I did.

+1 to this. I saw this brand on vacation a couple years ago and was excited to try something new... boy, was I disappointed.

You have to give a thumbs up to their brew masters though. Theyre able to consistantly turn out the same product again and again. I may not like the product, but thats tough to do

They still make Bud Ice?? wow.

I was shocked when I saw this recently too. First of all the fact that it was not being drunk by homeless vagrants and dumped in the woods, but by rich-looking frat bros on their porch. Do any of these "Ice" products actually freeze concentrate?

ABInBev either makes or controls a large interest in so many brands, it's surprising.

Off the top of my head, here's some beers in the ABInBev family I consider in the "not bad" to "good" range:

Bass
Hoegaarden
Leffe
Boddingtons
Franziskaner
Budweiser Budvar (the original, aka Czechvar)
Spaten
Goose Island (if they don't already, there's at least plans for them to completely purchase the entire 100% stake in Goose Island).

Looking at their website, I sort of like Beck's, Landshark, Rolling Rock, Leffe.. heck, I didn't even know Anheuser-Busch owned the production of these.

You have to give a thumbs up to their brew masters though. Theyre able to consistantly turn out the same product again and again. I may not like the product, but thats tough to do

This^

They can almost exactly duplicate large volumes of beer repeatedly. I might not care for certain of their products, but I know exactly what that product will taste like, time and time again. Talk about controlling process.

exactly. I saw it on the grocery store shelf in STL about a year ago. Did it get the ax recently?

from Wikipedia

Bud Dry was introduced nationally in the U.S. in April 1989 with the slogan of "Why ask why? Try Bud Dry." It was originally successful in test markets and was expected to be a popular beer with the rise in light lager popularity. However, after the introduction of Bud Ice in 1994, Bud Dry wasn't heavily marketed. Production was discontinued in December 2010.

I had a girlfriends aunt who use to drink a case a week of Bud Dry, I had a few every now and then, I liked it better than Bud Light. Bud Ice on the other hand is one of my least favorite beers of all time.

it's a interesting question....it really comes down to your own personal tastes.....
personally, i can't truly enjoy a beer anymore if it doesn't taste good, but taste is subjective. The more innovative and thoughtfully crafted beers i taste, the more disdain i have for AB. And now that they're not an american company (and now that i don't need a $38 keg of Natty Light), i don't really give a $hit about AB or what happens to them. Personally, i think their demise is eminent....which is a good thing for the American economy and the American beer drinker alike. To hell w/BMC, it has no place outside of frat parties and beer pong tournies.

This^

They can almost exactly duplicate large volumes of beer repeatedly. I might not care for certain of their products, but I know exactly what that product will taste like, time and time again. Talk about controlling process.

....or talk about not hand crafting beer. it's not like these guys (or any humans that work there) are pouring barley malt into the kettle....

Back