beer line cleaning (for storage)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just setup my kegerator and did some searching, but couldn't find anything specific.

I have a 3 tap system and recently finished 2 taps. What's the best way to clean the lines for long term storage? I don't plan on getting enough cash to brew again till probably mid January, which means I won't keg till mid Feb, or close to 3 months away.

Right now I cleaned them and ran a light concentration of PBW through them, then ran filtered tap water through them, then blew them out with co2.

Should I run Star-san through it? I figured that could wait till I hooked a new keg up. I was worried about Star-san being an acid and sitting in the lines for a few months causing issues. I also figured I'd have to resanitize since they're not being hooked up right away, and figured I could save some solution by not sanatizing twice in between batches.

Also, should I have dried them out or left them filled with water? I figured it'd be better to have them dry as opposed to keeping them filled with water, but even blasting co2 through them still left some drops/condensation in the lines.

So, whats the consensus? Leave them filled or empty, and use Star-san or not?

Thanks guys!

I do exactly as you've already done. I leave them empty and just run sanitizer through them before using them again.

I, on the other hand, have always run Star-San through and left it in the lines between kegs, sometimes up to 3+ months. have never had an issue with this, and like knowing that there's no mold or mildew forming in my beer lines. If anyone has ever HAD a problem doing this, I would certainly appreciate hearing about it...

Hi Guys.

Our club bars had star san in the beer lines since February 8th and I'm seeing mold in the lines now. Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, I've had mold grow in lines cleaned and rinsed with starsan after setting for a long time. Now I use an air compressor to blow as much of the water/starsan out as possible prior to storing them long term. I dunk them in my bucket full of starsan, give them a hard few swings to get as much water out as I can before using them.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How do you push CO2 through them? I have 2 picnic taps that I am going to store now and currently there is star san in them. The worm clamps were put in by Kegconnection and they're done so nicely that I don't want to disassemble the taps & line.

How do you push CO2 through them? I have 2 picnic taps that I am going to store now and currently there is star san in them. The worm clamps were put in by Kegconnection and they're done so nicely that I don't want to disassemble the taps & line.

Just hook up to an empty keg. Set pressure pretty high, I'm in the 30 to 40 psi range then just open the tap and let the co2 blow the excess water/sanitizer out.

Some would say a waste of co2, but I see it as saving on replacing moldy lines. Plus I have a 20 lb. tank so not much loss for me. :)

Interesting this came up. I just build a kegerator and I'm about to finish my first beer and am not replacing it for awhile.

I have seen a bucket of starsan get some mold on the lid before so that would concern me.

I have 10 foot lines, so I would worry that blowing out the lines with CO2 would still leave some residual water or starsan left.

I wonder if I put some cheap vodka in the keg and purged the lines with that if that would be better since it would be more likely to evaporate. Or even possibly leaving the lines filled with alcohol. Thoughts?

I just fill the lines with starsan and leave them until it's time to serve. No mold is able to grow in it. Flush it with beer the first time you pour from a new keg and done.

Roed Haus Brewery

Back