Another aquarium pump thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islandboy85

Reaction score
I've seen a few very similar aquarium pump threads that talk about using a pump to aireate the wort. I just picked up a pump at Walmart that is designed for a 5-15 gallon aquarium. Its max output is 1200 ci per minute. Is that enough output for a five or ten gallon batch. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a formula to figure out how long to aireate your wort for when you have a given output volume. Or, does it matter, just blow bubbles for a while and pitch your yeast?

The pump that I've seen sold with a lot of the brew stores looks like the same one sold at walmart that is rated for a sixty gallon tank, that's why I was wondering if I needed to do it longer since my pump has about a quarter of the output capacity. It seems like it's more of just an art than a science. Bubble some air to help fermentation, pitch yeast, go sit back and drink the last batch.

The pump that I've seen sold with a lot of the brew stores looks like the same one sold at walmart that is rated for a sixty gallon tank, that's why I was wondering if I needed to do it longer since my pump has about a quarter of the output capacity. It seems like it's more of just an art than a science. Bubble some air to help fermentation, pitch yeast, go sit back and drink the last batch.

Oh. I see.

Yeah. I think it's more an art. Personally, I don't even use my aquarium pump any more. I just splash my wort around a lot on the sides of the carboy while draining from the BK and then rock the full carboy around for about a minute after pitching. No problems so far.

i've got that same pump from walmart and have had really good success running it through a sterile filter with a few stainless steel nuts on the end with the airstone to hold it on the bottom of the fermenter. i normally run it for about 30 minutes or until i get sick of cleaning up all the foam that pours out the top. works great!

If you aireate in your BK or a bucket before you transfer it to your fermenter does it cut down on foaming?

From what I understand of aquarium air pumps is. The gallonage rating is there to let you know how deep the pump can push the air. A 5-15 gallon air pump should not give you any fuss. As the others who use them have said. The depth of your carboy is about right.

I don't know why they rate the pumps by gallonage. It doesn't make any sense. A column of water that is 20" tall and holds 2 gallons is the same pressure (depth wise) as a column 20" tall and holds 200 gallons or what ever gallons.

It is gonna foam no matter where you do it. But by doing it in the fermentor, you wont be kicking up all the sluge that you left behind in the boil kettle.

Have you ever used the normal aquarium stone as opposed to a stainless stone? I was wondering how to sterilize the stone - do you boil it, soak it in a sterilizing solution, or just throw it out cause it costs a buck?

Have you ever used the normal aquarium stone as opposed to a stainless stone? I was wondering how to sterilize the stone - do you boil it, soak it in a sterilizing solution, or just throw it out cause it costs a buck?

I use O2 to aireate. I use the O2 in a way I can't use a stone. I just bubble the O2 up through the wort.

I have never used an aquarium pump for this purpose. I don't think the use of the aquarium stone is a good idea. But, like I say I don't really know about that.

I'm just a bit cautious of pure o2 because of the ability to over aireate and kill the yeast.

a normal aquarium stone is what i use. i've used the current one probably 3 times with no problems. it says on the package to soak for 1 hr in water prior to use, so i just soak it in starsan for 1 hr. it will naturally draw a little of the sanitizer into the stone/tube, i just turn it on, let it spit out the sanitizer and drop it in the carboy. i've heard the foaming isn't AS bad in a plastic bucket. but really, the foaming isn't that big of a deal, just lay down a plastic garbage bag or something to catch it, or just scoop it into a bucket as it comes out. it takes a few minutes for the head to build.

I'm just a bit cautious of pure o2 because of the ability to over aireate and kill the yeast.

I am new to the forum side of home brewing so I have never read about that. All I can say is I have never experienced this issue. I don't let the O2 bubble for a long period of time. Just a few min's. I can't imagine needing more then that. I also don't use a stone, so I am not getting the most out of my O2. I noticed a huge difference when I started using the O2. I used to do the shake it up method.

I am going to have to do some reading now.

Have you tried boiling the stones to clean it up after you use it or do they fall apart?

no, i just pull it out of the wort before i turn the pump off and just rinse it off. doesn't look dirty or anything. still looks like it was out of the package.

Back