GABF hotel question-Comfort Inn Downtown Denver

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
Is anyone staying at the Comfort Inn in downtown Denver? I, among many others, booked a room there and got scewed over by them. I am trying to negotiate a reconsiliation with them and some info from someone who is staying there would be very helpful. My question is: What rate are you paying per night? Ideally, Thurs, Fri, and Sat nights, since that was my reservation.

The reason I ask is because I had booked at a very low rate ($65/night for 2 beds) a while ago and am certain that I got bumped so they could charge more to someone else. This difference, would aid in my attept to get them to pay for a different hotel.

Thanks!

That really suxx ass. I am staying at my house. Did you contact the Corp office? That is total BS that they canceled your reservation on you. I would call the main office and ***** up a storm

Uh.....what does this have to do with beer. I don't believe this is a good place for this thread.

Maybe you need to check some travel forums.

Uh.....what does this have to do with beer. I don't believe this is a good place for this thread.

Maybe you need to check some travel forums.

It's a post intended for folks going to the Great American Beer Festival.

I would think the chances are higher that you'll find more help on a beer forum from that particular event attendees than a general travel forum. Maybe that's just me.

Sorry, OP, I've got nothing for ya. :(

It's a post intended for folks going to the Great American Beer Festival.

I would think the chances are higher that you'll find more help on a beer forum from that particular event attendees than a general travel forum. Maybe that's just me.

Sorry, OP, I've got nothing for ya. :(

I understand that but this is for "Topics not pertaining to any of the forums in the section but still dealing with home brewing."

So.........you might not get that much feedback on hotel reviews :drunk:

Yeah...I've talked with them, and they made me an offer, but I am waiting hear back with more options.

I posted here since its for the Great American Beer Fesitval and I know a lot of people from HBT are heading there. I'm not looking for hotel reviews, just info from other epople who are staying there these days for teh GABF. I appreciate the replies, and maybe I posted in the wrong section, but I thought "General Beer Discussion" was fitting since this is a general question pertaining to a beer specific event.

Mods, please feel free to move this to a more appropriate section if need be.

When I am in Denver I stay at the Staybridge Suites, about 10 minutes from the airport. It is an excellent hotel with excellent ammenities, free breakfast too.

When I am in Denver I stay at the Staybridge Suites, about 10 minutes from the airport. It is an excellent hotel with excellent ammenities, free breakfast too.

but that is a hike if you plan on drinking copious amounts of fine crafted brews. DIA is so far out of the way.

FBAG is the Flying dog pre-GABF event.

I don't know of a forum that this fits in. It's fine here unless I hear a suggestion.

Is there a listing of the events that are happening during the week of the GABF? I thought there were events going on but I cannot find the site any more

Hotels screw up, they overbook like airlines. They're human- the question is, will they do the human thing and make it right, or will they just say "tough luck?" Welcome to the wonderful world of negotiations. That probably means taking something that isn't good, but at least isn't bad.

As far as the GABF....my daughter lives in Boulder, and I've really been wanting to attend for the last few years, it just hasn't worked out. Recently, she told me she's not going any more, that all but the "brewers" extra-cost day is increasingly just more people acting like university freshman in a campus bar on Friday night, trying their best to get hammered. Going to have to rethink this.

The only difference is that airlines INTENTIONALLY overbook.

I had trouble booking a hotel near the convention center(waited too long and the rates were outrageous), but ended up booking a hotel about 10min from downtown called Hotel VQ. Has mixed reviews, but it's very close to downtown and is at a normal hotel rate. Anyone know anything about this hotel?

Check and see if they are with the Denver Chamber of Commerce. The company I work for is, and the Chamber folks are AMAZING. Register a complaint with them and see if there's any leverage there. Are you looking to stay really close, or within a $10 cab fare?

The only mistake it sounds like this hotel made was offering a sweet deal on some hi demand nights. So they're bumping people for higher rates. It sucks, but unfortunately, its not illegal (it should be!).

It's not illegal, but it's poor customer service. Someone within the company will be pissed about it, even if it isn't at that branch. Somebody's boss isn't going to like it.

How much is their counter-offer? Did you book with a Brewer's Association rate?

I arrived a little late getting a room as I wasn't sure if I'd have time off... got my hotel for $50/night cheaper than one of the the GABF rate quotes with Priceline.

The only difference is that airlines INTENTIONALLY overbook.

Yeah, they even use some equations to calculate the number of seats to oversell based on how many people tend to miss the flight. It's cheaper to oversell and give away some vouchers to people who volunteer for the next one than it is to fly with open seats apparently.

Hopsie-

Hotel VQ is right next door to Mile High Stadium, not high end but an ok place to sleep for a few nights....bar on the top floor that looks towards downtown. Probably 8-10 bucks for a cab to the convention center, unless the VQ has a shuttle. You could also walk, but if your not familiar with the area, I'd prob advise against it.

Chris

Everything worked out as much as will at least. They offered to send me a check for $100. I booked at a very low rate, $270 total for thurs, fri, sat nights. Now we are staying at the warwick for more than double. Oh well. we wanted to be walking distance to palces downtown. I looked at the VQ, but we were looking for something a little closer. They also offered us a room at the same rate at their hotel that was 5 miles away plus $100 cab fare, but like I said we wanted to be closer. Plus with 6 people sharing the room, it's still pretty cheap and a much nicer hotel.

Hopsie-

Hotel VQ is right next door to Mile High Stadium, not high end but an ok place to sleep for a few nights....bar on the top floor that looks towards downtown. Probably 8-10 bucks for a cab to the convention center, unless the VQ has a shuttle. You could also walk, but if your not familiar with the area, I'd prob advise against it.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Actually only staying there Thursday night since I have old friends in Ft. Collins I'll be staying with on Friday/Sat. I'll be skipping the hotel bar and going straight to Wynkoop's after 10pm if I can still walk a straight line:tank:

I just wanted something a $10 cab ride away like you said, rather than spending $250+ at a hotel within walking distance. Just need a place to crash for a night, but I don't want a roach motel or something dangerous!

By the way, is that the old white "round" hotel I remember as a kid in the 70's/80's that used to sit right in front of Mile High?

Hopsie-

Thats the one! VQ took aver a year or two ago, so hopefully they upgraded it a bit....wife and I stayed there about 4 years ago just to be close to the stadium.

While in the vicinity of the Wynkoop, don't forget to go to the Falling Rock as well.....Also, the Blake St Tavern (22nd & Blake, just north of Coors Field)has all of the Flying Dog lineup as well as some other great taps and bottles.

Chris

Another note to those drunkards walking around at 9-10 pm looking for some food....My Brothers Bar 15th and Platte, great burgers. Wazee Supper Club 15th and Wazee, great pizza and decent wings. On the 16th St Mall...the Paramount, good burgers and huge beers...Rock Bottom Brewery...decent bar food, and always have their max selection of beers during the GABF.

Have Fun!

Back