Fat tire cans?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdavisii

Reaction score
I just saw at the beer store Fat Tire (one of my top beers) is now sold in cans. I dont know how to feel about this. One side tells me that New Belguim is selling out. On the other hand this means that they are growing bigger and good for them. Just sort of confused:(

Selling out? There are numerous advantages to cans that a brewery can get behind including the lower shipping costs, easier recycling of materials, impervious to light, ect. Many of these fit right in line w/ the philosophy that the brewery is throwing out there.

i know there are advantages.... but a CAN. You dont see a good trippel in a can of a real pilsner in a can. Like i said i want to see new belguim do well because of their ethics but come on. I hope i get use to it.

i know there are advantages.... but a CAN. You dont see a good trippel in a can of a real pilsner in a can. Like i said i want to see new belguim do well because of their ethics but come on. I hope i get use to it.

You mean like a GABF gold medal Pilsner?

You gotta broaden your horizons...there's a good amount of killer craft in cans.

I would be ok if they lined the cans.

to the OP im sorry you have such a bad beer as a top beer :(

You dont see a good trippel in a can of a real pilsner in a can.

Umm, yes you do. The "first" pilsner in fact.
Pilsner_Urquell_beverage_can-1.jpg

Cans are superior packaging for many reasons and many craft breweries are going to this packaging.

I would be ok if they lined the cans.

They do.

to the OP im sorry you have such a bad beer as a top beer :(

Have you ever heard someone talk about a person who considers themself such a beer connoisseur that they alienated anyone who wanted to talk about beer with them?

That might be you.

Unless you were just ribbing in which case more smilies should be employed and this post ignored.

I think it's great news when a really good beer goes canned, and it is pretty rare. It's great news for the brewery especially, and a really good sign that the brewery is growing.

One of my favorite breweries, Oskar Blues, only packages their beers in cans. Never have to worry about skunked beer, and when you are going somewhere that glass isn't allowed, you can take along GOOD brews!!

Fort Wayne Indiana had a new micro brew a few years ago that put their beer in kegs and cans, thought it was strange at first. last time i was up visiting the parents i noticed they now bottle, didnt see cans. dont think there is anything wrong with cans, i can understand the reason behind it.

Putting it in cans has nothing to do with them getting bigger or selling out. I think since Oskar Blues started canning all of their beer, its has caught the eye of a lot of other micro breweries. Like others have said, all cans are lined. They offer superior barrier qualities and best of all, no light can get in. Most places don't do it because bottling is easier and cheaper.

Don't think of it as your favorite beer in an inferior container. Think of it as the best canned beer you can buy! Best of all, you can take it to the beach/river/pool/camping with no worries.

If you are that worried about cans, you probably pour all of your micro brews into a glass or cup anyways, right? Then who cares what container they deliver it to you in.

Ignorance like this (no offense) is one of the reasons that more craft brewers don't can their beers. They think that the consumer will think less of them and not buy their beer.

I sure did like my Old Chub last night.

And more craft brew in cans:

21st-Amendment-Cans-w-788243.jpg

Have you ever heard someone talk about a person who considers themself such a beer connoisseur that they alienated anyone who wanted to talk about beer with them?

That might be you.

Unless you were just ribbing in which case more smilies should be employed and this post ignored.

I think it's great news when a really good beer goes canned, and it is pretty rare. It's great news for the brewery especially, and a really good sign that the brewery is growing.
Yes I was joking...I like Fat Tire (although I think all thier other beers take the same as FT with the bubble gum thing going on) I LOVE cans. I do a LOT of camping where glass doesn't fair well :(

Overall I like FT but hate that everything from NB tastes like FT :confused:

It has already been mentioned, but you want to be pouring these beers into a glass as often as you can. Just like bottles, you won't get the full aroma and flavor out of a can.

That Maui Coconut Porter is one of my favorite beers ever, and it only comes in cans. There's an oxygen barrier in cans these days that makes it a moot point.

The big issue now is education. Pour it into a pint glass and you'll never know the difference.

Those are some interesting canned beers posted. Watermelon wheat?

I think canning is great if they can do it. For the most part, I think we just assume canning is "selling out" because you mainly see the big corporate beers can while the microbreweries bottle in glass just the same as we do.

When I was on a brewery tour in Belgium, the tour guide said, "If you can CAN, you CAN. If you can't CAN, you bottle." This was a small brewery that bottled, but liked the canning idea. He said the costs of production in canning is much higher than bottling.

I wouldn't be concerned with their ethics, either. Canning may even be more energy efficient and easier to recycle. I personally can't recycle their cans like I do their bottles, however. ;)

Never thought id get so many responses. YES there is a different taste to a can IMO. There is a stigma attached to a can as well. Dont get me wrong i drink PLENTY of cans. Just was thinking out loud:D

Now if they'd just start shipping those cans over here to Florida, I'd be very happy.

One of my favorite breweries, Oskar Blues, only packages their beers in cans. Never have to worry about skunked beer, and when you are going somewhere that glass isn't allowed, you can take along GOOD brews!!

+1 Oskar is brewed just down the road from New Belgian too. Maybe the can idea is spreading. :D

Don't buy your theory....Times have changed...this are not your daddy's schlitz cans anymore...AND it only recently became evidently cheaper for micros to afford canning lines...

Hell, I could can my homebrew I'd jump on it. No worrys about skunking whatsoever.

I love this article, he does some mythbusting!!!

It's time to get edumacated on the history of bottling in the craft beer industry...

You Can Can Craft Beer
by Lew Bryson
It’s time to kill the myth that brew is better in bottles.

Two scenes. First, 30 years ago, I’m on a tour of Anheuser-Busch’s Williamsburg, Virginia, brewery when something went haywire on a huge canning line. In the few seconds it took a worker to hit the big red
STOP
button, more than 50 cans of Bud had been sliced open, spraying beer all over the floor. Canning was high-tech, high-speed, and very much big brewery.

Second scene, five years ago, at the Oskar Blues Cajun Grille and Brewery in Lyons, Colorado, brewery owner Dale Katechis lined up two cans and filled them manually with Dale’s Pale Ale, a full-fledged hop-snorter of a beer. He sealed them and, after filling four more, pulled plastic six-pack rings down on them. It was the beginning of what Katechis calls the “Canned Beer Apocalypse,” a name that was a reflection of how funny the whole thing seemed.

Putting craft beer in cans was just not something you did. Light beer belonged in cans, and frat boys crushed the empties against their heads. Craft beer belonged in glass bottles—which were better for the beer in some vague, mysterious way.

Like other things the craft-beer business put forth as dogma—blending batches is cheating, pasteurization of beer is always bad, a bit of variation in your beer proves that it’s handcrafted—that was more a case of making a virtue out of necessity. Canning equipment was wicked expensive and massive, with more capacity than craft brewers needed. Used bottling lines could be gotten cheap from all the small soft-drink bottlers that were going out of business. A few craft brewers had their beers canned at other breweries, but it was sporadic, and the product was aimed mostly at boaters, sports arenas, and airlines.

European brewers had been putting their craft-type beers in cans for years. Czech pilsners come in cans, you can pop the top on a can of Belgian witbier, and Guinness Stout was a pioneer with its funny little plastic widget inside the can for creating the famous Guinness “cascade.” There’s even a Belgian sour ale that comes in a can. But in America, there was a stigma to the can that just wasn’t going away.

Then in 2001, along came a Canadian company, Cask Brewing Systems, that had developed a two-head manual can filler. Cask Brewing cut a deal with Ball Corporation to make relatively small lots of cans—a 150,000-can minimum, about a semitrailer load, instead of the million-can runs that were the standard. Katechis received their brochure and laughed—his craft beer in a can!—and then stopped to think about it.

That pause was providential. Cans put Oskar Blues on the map. Originally a sideline, something for brewpub customers to take home, the unexpected popularity of the cans—coupled with the brewery’s excellent beer—has led to growth of 2,000 percent since that first fill in November 2002. They’re moving into a new, much larger brewery building this spring.

Katechis has become something of a can evangelist, and has encouraged other craft brewers to pack their beer in metal. Today the folks at Cask Brewing count more than 30 breweries that use their equipment, and the varieties that they can is tremendous. I just bought four cases of beer for a long weekend upstate—all cans, from three different breweries: I.P.A. from New England Brewing in Connecticut, pilsner and pale ale from Sly Fox in Pennsylvania, and Old Chub Scottish ale from Oskar Blues.

It just makes sense. The can is a superior package to the bottle. Cans are lighter and take up less space, making them cheaper to transport and store. They’re more durable once filled. Cans are completely lightproof, meaning the beer won’t get “skunked,” acquiring the nasty odor that comes from hops compounds breaking down in sunlight. Cans today come with a lining that keeps beer away from the aluminum, eliminating the metallic taste that used to affect canned beer. They seal up with very little air in the can, keeping the beer fresh longer. They’re even cheaper to recycle. Any “but it’s a can” stigma evaporates with the first taste of the emphatically nonmainstream taste.

It’s not clear if it’s a spreading trend, or just a package that works well for new niche players in the market. The established players in craft brewing are too big to make the switch to cans on a whim. They’re looking for a solid record before they purchase the expensive high-speed canners they’d need to accommodate their big supply pipeline—proof that canned beer is not just a gimmick. Smaller brewers without a bottling line can jump right to Cask’s low-cost canning setup, which is what you’re seeing for now.

Beer drinkers have taken to canned craft brews—cans sell as fast as brewers can fill them, and the doubters have faded away on the beer-geek discussion websites—but there’s not a lot of popping the top and guzzling from the can going on. “How many people buy a Belgian tripel and drink it from the bottle?” Katechis challenged. He advocates pouring the beer from the can into a glass.

That’s okay, but when I’m out “recreating” with a couple of cases of Sly Fox pilsner cans in the cooler, I don’t see any reason not to pop one open and enjoy it right from the can. Maybe it’s not at 100 percent full beer-geek enjoyment, but it’s quick, it feels normal, and it tastes good.

Katechis is right about one thing, though: “It’s kind of fun that you can smash one on your forehead when you’re done.” Light beer or not, boys will be boys.

and this one...

Top 5 canned microbrews

Lose the bottle opener: These microbrews are easy to drink and and open.

Canned beers have come a long way in the last half-decade or so, with many award-winning microbreweries now proudly packaging their brew in aluminum. And while the jury is still out on whether or not cans are truly more environmentally friendly than bottles, there's no denying that the two containers play on equal ground in terms of flavor.

Fuller's London Pride
(England; $7.99 per four-pack of 16.9 oz. cans)

You might not expect to find one of the most awarded and acclaimed ales in the U.K. in a can, but voila! This is a classic "best bitter," a brew style completely unlike pale ale, porter, or stout. It is dry rather than aggressively bitter, lightly fruity, and, to borrow a British phrase, immensely quaffable. With more than a century and a half of experience behind it, the Fuller's brewery is the last remaining family brewery in London.

top5_cans_01.jpg

Sly Fox Pikeland Pils

(Pennsylvania; $8.49 per six-pack)

While boring, weak, mainstream American lagers are often deemed "lawnmower beers," I've always thought the quenching, refreshing character of a good German-style pilsner like this was more deserving of the term. Aromatic, crisply flavorful, pleasingly bitter, and dry enough to slake the greatest thirst, this is simply an outstanding hot weather brew from a well-respected and family-owned brewery located not far from Philadelphia.

top5_cans_02.jpg

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

(England; $8.99 per four-pack of 16.9 oz. cans)

For those who swear they taste chocolaty notes in black beers, here's a stout that ups the ante by introducing actual chocolate into the mix. It is, not surprisingly, quite chocolaty in taste, but also mellow in character, with roasty, coffee, and faint spice notes and none of the cloying sweetness found in some chocolate ales. A lovely after-dinner treat.

top5_cans_03.jpg

Oskar Blues Gordon

(Colorado; $9.99 per four-pack)

From the pioneering brewery that helped rehabilitate the sorry image of canned beer in 2002, when it became the first craft brewer to can its ales, comes this heavyweight brew of the style sometimes referred to as "double" or "Imperial" IPA, thanks to its high 8.7-percent alcohol content and robust hoppiness. Expect chocolate, hazelnut, and raisin notes on the nose and a big body of toffee and berry flavors mixed with citrusy bitterness. Not for the faint of heart.

top5_cans_04.jpg

New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale

(Colorado; $16 per 12-pack)

What started as a cult canned ale among mountain bikers in Colorado in the early 1990s is now available for the rest of us. This isn't an intimidating beer in any way; just a slightly biscuity, somewhat toasty, and well-balanced amber ale with an abundance of the quality some critics refer to as "more-ish," meaning that one sip has you wanting more.

Never thought id get so many responses. YES there is a different taste to a can IMO. There is a stigma attached to a can as well. Dont get me wrong i drink PLENTY of cans. Just was thinking out loud:D

Do you drink it out of the can? I'm guessing in a blind test you wouldn't know the difference of two beers, both handled properly, one from a bottle, and one from a can.

There used to be a stigma about cans. That is very quickly changing.

Hey now Revvy take it easy on bad mouthing that shlitz. That is high quality brew.:D

Hey, actually there's nothing wrong with a lot of those old beers...PBR, Schlitz....Get this, I was at a really old shot and shell bar a few weeks back, they had no Bud Products on draft (I think they even only had 3 beers on tap...Coors, Coors Light, and Old Milwaukee) I didn't know you could still get Old Milwaukee

I went for the Old Milwaukee for sh*tzandgiggles...And after a hot day of vintage baseball, in long sleeves shirts...it was the best damn drinking session I ever had...Old Milwaukee was da bomb on draft....If I was at a bar that had no craft beer whatsoever and had that and A/B products...I'd jump on that in a minute.

It didn't even leave that crappy sticky feeling on your teeth and tongue that certain Bud products do....

I have 2 problems with beer cans.
1) I can't get many good beers in them yet.
2) I can't reuse them.

Other than that it makes perfect sense as a package for beer. Once breweries moved away from returnable bottles and cans were lined there is no reason not to use cans (except maybe the startup costs).

Craig

I did not think Flat tire was sold in Michigan. If so where can I get my hands on this beer. I keep hearing about from friends outside of Michigan.

I did not think Flat tire was sold in Michigan. If so where can I get my hands on this beer. I keep hearing about from friends outside of Michigan.

I had it in Missouri, 5 years ago...It was my goto beer when I was living there.... This was before it was discovered by Frat Boys, and got the bad rep it seems to have now. I haven't had it since....And can't really remember much about it.

I 'd like to try it again, but can't find it here in MI either.

Don't forget the Maui Brewing Company

Good call. I bought the sampler from Maui Brewing while in Waikiki and it was fantastic. That Coconut Porter is by far my fav of the three. I would like to brew a clone of that one of these days!

I was at a beerfest this last weekend and saw that Durango's Steamworks brewery is now canning their Steam Engine Lager. I am stoked that we can now get some craft brews in cans. Now a bigger variety of good beer can be taken to places that don't allow glass.

Like others have mentioned, canning is a great packaging method. We just all have a habit of associating canned beer with BMC. With any luck, that will change in the next couple years. :ban:

There are tremendous advantages to both the brewery and the consumer in cans. Cans are lighter, cheaper to transport, cheaper and faster to process, 100% UV opaque, and are far more likely to be recycled. They stack better in stores and don't break. Means wider availability, higher quality & lower prices.

Other than the "canned beer is bad" attitude, the main barrier is the number of cans a brewery has to buy in one shot. Even though there are smaller canning lines available, there aren't any can printers focused on small production runs.

Just to clear two things up, that have nothing to do with cans but irk me to no end.

1) The brewery is called New BELGIUM, not belgian.

2) The beer is called Fat Tire, and isn't their best offering by a long shot. When they start canning 1554, re-release Biere de Mars, and make the Kriek again, then you can taste some great beers. La Folie...yessir.

There are tremendous advantages to both the brewery and the consumer in cans. Cans are lighter, cheaper to transport, cheaper and faster to process, 100% UV opaque, and are far more likely to be recycled. They stack better in stores and don't break. Means wider availability, higher quality & lower prices.

Other than the "canned beer is bad" attitude, the main barrier is the number of cans a brewery has to buy in one shot. Even though there are smaller canning lines available, there aren't any can printers focused on small production runs.

Actually that's the point of why it's changing...Cask Systems does everything, including printing the cans....on a small batch (150,000 can) scale...Impressive...they also have canning setups for brew on premise operations....

WELCOME TO CASK.COM

A lot of craft breweries are going to can for some of their flagship brews. There are a lot of venues that will not allow glass containers, so this allows us to now take craft brews to the race track and such. Also keep in mind with the liners they have in cans these days cans are actually a lot better than glass bottles (no light getting in there). Pour it in a glass and you'll never know the difference.

Latest posts

Back