Beer People are Annoying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
I posted this in a different thread but thought I'd start a new one specific to this topic...

Uninformed people talking about beer... Slightly informed guy at a brewfest talking about beer... Equally annoying. It's beer. I wish people could just enjoy it and drink what they like. Being a homebrewer for 8 years, knowledgeable, interested, etc... I almost hate to talk beer with people lately.

There's the guy who means well throwing around buzz words like "sessionable", "balanced", etc. He doesn't actually know a damn thing about the beer. He just knows we should all like it based on whatever nonsense review he read. And he's lecturing people in the bar about why they should like certain things, etc.

I want to correct this guy but I never will. Beer is like the band I used to like but now is popular and on the radio. I will continue to brew, drink, and appreciate beer. I guess I'm just more inclined to do it in private, avoiding all the "beer people" and nonsense all together.

One of my uncles is like that too. He always brags about "his beer guy" at the store that recommends stuff to him, and then talks those beers up like they are the greatest things ever, and so much better than whatever you have. That's just his personality in general, so I ignore him.

Unless someone is aggressively telling other people that they aren't drinking "real beer" for whatever reason, I just leave them alone. Like Hammy said, it just isn't worth the trouble to be That Guy.

I agree 200%. These types of people have also turned me off from attending "beer festivals" and similar events.

I have a question. When did sessionable come to mean 1.060? I've heard so many hip kids call bigger beers the session ales. Why are diminutive IPAs called session IPAs and not just pale ales?

If we're into session ales, where are all the milds and bitters, dammit?

I have a question. When did sessionable come to mean 1.060? I've heard so many hip kids call bigger beers the session ales. Why are diminutive IPAs called session IPAs and not just pale ales?

If we're into session ales, where are all the milds and bitters, dammit?

There is some merit to calling some beers a session IPA. I brewed two ales this summer that came in around 3.5% abv, but used 7 oz of hops and tasted like an IPA of twice the abv. So for the sake of letting people know what they were about to drink, I just called it a session IPA. I could have called it an APA, but my dad likes IPAs, and he's one of the biggest drinkers of my homebrew, so yeah.

But I agree, 1.060 is nowhere near sessionable. Unless of course you don't feel like remembering the rest of the night.

You can thank ratebeer and beer advocate for creating a legion of annoying beer people.

Reading their forums makes my head hurt.

BA has turned into a cartoon of itself. You can't impress those guys unless it's a Belgian quad, double dry-hopped IIPA, or bourbon barrel-aged coffee vanilla imperial stout.

drainbamage said:
BA has turned into a cartoon of itself. You can't impress those guys unless it's a Belgian quad, double dry-hopped IIPA, or bourbon barrel-aged coffee vanilla imperial stout.

I love reading the reviews of beer from people on BA it's hilarious. They take pretentious *****ebaggery to new heights

I find most beer geeks to be low gravity. There are plenty of ******** in any beer crowd, and then there are great people that wouldn't look down on you for drinking a coors light. Beer is beer, drink what you like.

You guys are the best. No need to get frustrated about it. I mean... It's beer. I will talk beer to people like you and leave the nonsense to the rest of the "craft beer" crowd.

Beer nerds are funny. My two favorite beers are my personal oatmeal stout and.......Mich golden light!

I love reading the "bmc is satan" threads. On a hot day nothing beats a Mich in my opinion.

Fermented beverages are one place where I don't understand snobbery. So many of these tastes are strange and 'aquired' that it doesn't make since to bash what someone enjoys. If someone likes to drink a mixture of chewed corn and saliva fermented in a gourd I'm just amazed that they figured out they could make alcohol that way. If they like to drink a low gravity lightly hopped rice and malt lager with lime flavoring go ahead. Extremely bitter ales sure, sour fruity lambics great. Compared to some beers Coors light may taste like water, but hey I like drinking water too. Water is not some universally bad flavor that everyone should avoid.

Me? I like malty lagers and Belgian ales, and I have fun making them. I know what I like so don't tell me what you think I should like. I'm fine with a suggestion and review but I don't want some kind of lecture on my inferior tastes.

I love the Woody Allen bit. how many times would I have so thoroughly enjoyed doing that?!:mug: Makes me glad I quit going to bars because I couldn't smoke in them anymore. Having quit smoking a couple weeks ago....:drunk:;)

I hate when people ***** about other peoples take on things in life..

Like you said, it's just beer. It's a liquid meant to be drank, not hoarded, saved, or used as currency in this day in age.

That said, I've never found myself to get irritated enough to go off on a rant over someones take on beer.. I'm all for sharing beer, and getting others to enjoy it with me.

Look if you are not making Madagascar cinammon Russian Imperial Stout, you are doing it wrong.

Just saying....

And here I thought I was the only one annoyed with the BA for a denizens.

There's people like that in any hobby, sport, job, you name it. You are doing the right thing by just moving on - focus on the good people in beer and you will be better off.

I used to work in craft and beer festivals were so much fun when you seek out cool people like Sam from Dogfish or I could name a bunch other - their passion for the beverage is contageous

Look if you are not making Madagascar cinammon Russian Imperial Stout, you are doing it wrong.

Just saying....

And here I thought I was the only one annoyed with the BA for a denizens.

Agreed.. There's a narrow mindset of beers out there as a whole.

HBT folks are just as guilty.. Look at all the crazy threads about beer here...

Everyone wants to make a Chipotle Candycorn Pumpkin Chocolate Porter here..

Just move on, and enjoy the things you like!

I find annoying people everywhere, in most hobbies.

I travel for a living, and of course go to lots of Craft Breweries and Bars. I actually meet lots of interesting, considerate people.

I don't like any kind of bashing, especially to strangers or mere acquaintances, be that politica, beer, food, music, whatever. There's too much negativity, we need to look for the pleasures in life, not crap on everything.

In my personal opinion, people confuse "critiquing" beer, and flat out bitching about beer.

I always say that Being an honest "beer person" doesn't mean you only like the most exclusive beers, or that you like every beer on the planet....it means that you can appreciate any beer, whether you personally like it or not.

Again just my opinion

So we bash RB and BA because of the few? We let the integrity of a great industry be compromised because of the minority? A large part of why I have recently gotten so involved in this industry is because of pure enjoyment. If other people don't enjoy it for the same reason, or don't enjoy the same aspects, it doesn't change my opinion at all. I think it's silly to care so much about what other people think. I love beer, I respect the people who started this revolution, and I hope I can put my own positive stamp on it in my lifetime.

I posted this in a different thread but thought I'd start a new one specific to this topic...

Uninformed people talking about beer... Slightly informed guy at a brewfest talking about beer... Equally annoying. It's beer. I wish people could just enjoy it and drink what they like. Being a homebrewer for 8 years, knowledgeable, interested, etc... I almost hate to talk beer with people lately.

There's the guy who means well throwing around buzz words like "sessionable", "balanced", etc. He doesn't actually know a damn thing about the beer. He just knows we should all like it based on whatever nonsense review he read. And he's lecturing people in the bar about why they should like certain things, etc.

I want to correct this guy but I never will. Beer is like the band I used to like but now is popular and on the radio. I will continue to brew, drink, and appreciate beer. I guess I'm just more inclined to do it in private, avoiding all the "beer people" and nonsense all together.

Bingo... just... Bingo!!!

I think the day I found this place was the last day I went to BA.

Beer Advocate just muddies the waters for me. Reviews there for any beer have a statistical distribution all over the road. I've tasted beers they rate at 98% and thought they were crap, and conversely, liked fairly low-rated beers. Everyone's sense of taste is different.

I just want to try a beer with no prior knowledge, so I can make an honest appraisal. Either I'll like it or I won't.

Flipside to all this, I feel that some people are oversensitive to those who like to geek out over beer and instantly and ignorantly lump anyone who is well-versed in details about their passion as an ******* or know-it-all.

Merely an observation from personal experiences.

^^Aaaww c'mon,you can do gooder than that! We all geek out over beer in our own way. What we like & despise. what we're indifferent about. Kinda like Beldar Conehead.

Beer people are annoying?

[tinfoil hat]
This is a damned lie propagated by those wine, mead and cider people!
[/tinfoil hat]

Makes me glad I quit going to bars because I couldn't smoke in them anymore. Having quit smoking a couple weeks ago....

Congrats on kicking the habit, Union! I only smoked for a couple of years but it took almost as many to stop hacking up tar every once in a while.

I love talking to people about beer. I love talking about beer.

Stopped into a pizza/tap room tonight, and got a great recommendation from the guy to the right, and some good conversation of beers from all around the USA.

Yep there are people out there who may be want-a-be's.

But then again there are some great people out there who are just cool. Then again, there might be a brewmaster out there who might think that my opinion about beer is naive and uneducated, I hope not.

i have a friend who knows a few key words about beer that he throws out any chance he gets. We both love drinking and talking beer and it is funny to watch him use the same few words for almost every beer he tries. I try my best not to be a beer snob because everyone likes different things but I love talking beer with people and if i can teach them something about the brewing process then that makes me feel awesome

Most people are annoying...

Especially when it comes to something where they want to show off their knowledge.

[ame]http://vimeo.com/64558227[/ame]

Is this contract brewed? You can really taste the contract...

Back