Why does my hombrew make my stomach upset?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfoolz

Reaction score
I have drank two batches of brew so far and both times I have had extreme diarrhea. Is it the yeast? Do I need to filter the beer before kegging it? Anyone else have this happen to them?

Ya its prob your body not being adjusted 2 the yeast. This happen 2 my brother when he started drinking home brew. I don't think it lasted him 2 batchs though. But everyones prob diff it will fade when your body gets use 2 it. At least it did for him. I myself never had a problem but thats why i say everyone is diff.

yes the yeast is giving you the runs. You have to age the beer a little more, then cold crash, so the yeast drops out. All this happens (the first time) in the carboy.

I will have to start cold crashing. Great idea, how long do you chill for, what temp? I assume this is done a day or so before racking off to the keg?

your body will get used to it...but you can make it easier on your stomach...and for future guests by:

you can cold crash prior to bottling/kegging....or simply make sure the bottles are in the fridge for at least 24 hours prior to serving.

The longer the bottles condition after bottling the less yeast(and other irritants/proteins) will be in suspension...time will settle all the stuff to the bottom.

Make sure you don't disturb the settled yeast etc on the bottle bottom when you pour...and leave 1/2 inch or so of beer in the bottle.

There are several threads here about the "homebrew pour" which many use to help keep the yeast out of the glass.

I will have to start cold crashing. Great idea, how long do you chill for, what temp? I assume this is done a day or so before racking off to the keg?

24 hours usually does it but there's no rush. You can tell by how clear the beer is. If it's a darker beer, a beam from a flashlight will show clarity.

pwkblue said:
your body will get used to it...but you can make it easier on your stomach...and for future guests by:

you can cold crash prior to bottling/kegging....or simply make sure the bottles are in the fridge for at least 24 hours prior to serving.

The longer the bottles condition after bottling the less yeast(and other irritants/proteins) will be in suspension...time will settle all the stuff to the bottom.

Make sure you don't disturb the settled yeast etc on the bottle bottom when you pour...and leave 1/2 inch or so of beer in the bottle.

There are several threads here about the "homebrew pour" which many use to help keep the yeast out of the glass.

Thanks man, I am kegging my beer and since the dip tube draws from the bottom any yeast in the keg is going to get sucked up. I guess the only way to prevent that would be to cold crash in the carboy. Just stick it in the kegerator I guess, until it clears up. Should I filter the beer before kegging? Would Irish moss do any good?

You can also cold crash the kegs, so the yeast settles to the bottom, and pour off the first cloudy/yeasty glass(es) to minimize yeast in other pours.

Are you letting your beer ferment fully? How long is it fermenting, and are you sure you reached FG? I participated in a competition recently where there were beers that obviously did not ferment long enough. The next day, it sounded like WW3 in my stomach.

JohnnyO said:
Are you letting your beer ferment fully? How long is it fermenting, and are you sure you reached FG? I participated in a competition recently where there were beers that obviously did not ferment long enough. The next day, it sounded like WW3 in my stomach.

It is possible that I am not fermenting long enough, however, I thought once the hydro reading stays the same for three days in a row, it would be ready to rack off to secondary. I guess it normally takes about 7 days in primary and another 7 days in secondary. Then keg. Shortening the dip tube sounds like a good idea.

It is possible that I am not fermenting long enough, however, I thought once the hydro reading stays the same for three days in a row, it would be ready to rack off to secondary. I guess it normally takes about 7 days in primary and another 7 days in secondary. Then keg. Shortening the dip tube sounds like a good idea.

IMO that is way too short of a time in the primary. It is possible that you reached your FG. I leave mine in primary a minimum of three weeks, sometimes four for most of my normal batches.

Thanks Johnny, I will start letting it sit for longer. I had read many posts where people said to keg after about ten days and that is why I have been doing it. How long would you cold crash the beer for? A week?

Goood advice, good to see a local here!

Thanks Johnny, I will start letting it sit for longer. I had read many posts where people said to keg after about ten days and that is why I have been doing it. How long would you cold crash the beer for? A week?

I think 24 hours should be sufficient, depending on out side temps you could just put it outside in a covered enviroment, but a fridge with a a temp of 39-42 degrees should suffice, you dont want it to freeze, 32 degres and below will do just that.

Here in Utah its 10 to 30 degrees this time of year and would shatter a carboy! yikes!

yewtah-brewha said:
I think 24 hours should be sufficient, depending on out side temps you could just put it outside in a covered enviroment, but a fridge with a a temp of 39-42 degrees should suffice, you dont want it to freeze, 32 degres and below will do just that.

Here in Utah its 10 to 30 degrees this time of year and would shatter a carboy! yikes!

I hear that! Wow, we are having roughly the same type of weather up here as you guys, not extremely cold, but not warm either. I have a keggerator that I will put it in. 24 hours sounds good. I guess I have been rushing the beer through the process, I need to slow down and give it more time.

IMO that is way too short of a time in the primary. It is possible that you reached your FG. I leave mine in primary a minimum of three weeks, sometimes four for most of my normal batches.

Depends on the yeast he is using.

Ale yeast this is a very realistic timeframe, might even be considered a long ferment. I regularly am done wnith fermentation in 4 days and by day 6 or 7 I am crashing. This can have variables of course but usually if trying to ferment at lower temp ranges. I once fermented with London Ale at 58º and it was about 10 days.

Lager on the other hand it would be too fast, from what I know...but I don't lager.

My take on American ale yeast, 3 weeks in the frementor at 68F, then cold crash and keg. Each week the beer spends in the frementor it should turn a different color, if it's an APA. The yeast are working hard doing stuff for that 3 weeks, but their is nothing wrong with keeping it in there a little longer like 6 weeks. Then cold crash in the frementor, then again in your keg. I think your problems will be solved.

deer 043.jpg

Latest posts

Back