Ginger IPA Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkmanbeerz

Reaction score
I'm in the process of starting an IPA recipe in which I chose to add 1.5 oz of grated ginger in the last 15 minutes of the boil (plus another 0.5 oz chunk thrown in at flame-out for good measure). During the boil the smell of the ginger was pleasant and noticeable and it balanced well with the hop smell.

Once I started cooling the wort I decided to taste it and found that the presence of the ginger had all but disappeared! I know that you can't put too much stock in how the wort tastes, but I'm wondering if I should add some ginger to the wort in the fermenter at some point (like when I add my dry-hops). Or should I just wait it out and trust that the flavor and smell of the ginger will return someday?

My goal here is to end up with a nice balanced and subtle ginger flavor in the final product. Any help would be awesome!

Latest posts

Back