Hops from composted seeds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBob

Reaction score
Out of some compost I was using to start vegetables with grew a tiny plant with 3 pointed leaves, then 5 points and I thought it to be an illegal substance yet I transplanted it to make sure... Then it grew 7 points and the leave were way to fat for it to be what I originally thought. I pinched the top because it grew 4 inches over night. After it became course and vine like I compared it to my hops vines out back. I seems to be a hop plant other than the 5 to 7 point leaves instead of 3, like my other plants.

My question: Could this be a different hop species that grew from a late hop addition or dry hop seed?

I have it in a pot and think I may plant it to find out for sure. From what I read, even if it is male it will only help my yields other than causing females to seed.

Well, maybe it's just some other vine that looks like a cross between hop and pot. Please, be the judge:

DSCN2634.jpg

Shore looks like hops from here. I'd keep it for at least long enough to tell if it's a male or female (may take two seasons) and then do what you will with it. I've been growing a fine gal that came from the compost pile about 16 years ago and she's a very classy lady. Have fun!

Sorry, didn't see the last part of your post. Most likely came from a very late addition to have survived the boil. Most of us use aromatic hops during that time period so it's most likely got some 'aroma' genes to it. Only one way to tell - grow, pick and brew!

I went through a similar excitment (and then letdown) last spring. I am no expert, but you should take a look at this info on japanese hops (Humulus japonicus - other half of the hop genus, not generally used for beer) before you make up your mind. In particular look for a shoot and see if it looks like a 'tasty' hop shoot.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/invasive_plants/weeds/japanese-hop.pdf

soccerpall86 said:
I went through a similar excitment (and then letdown) last spring. I am no expert, but you should take a look at this info on japanese hops (Humulus japonicus - other half of the hop genus, not generally used for beer) before you make up your mind. In particular look for a shoot and see if it looks like a 'tasty' hop shoot.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/invasive_plants/weeds/japanese-hop.pdf

These plants have pretty much taken over my hometown, shame really,hop plants everywhere but none to brew with.(except the ones in my backyard. Oh and the ones in the pot in front of the iron hill brewery.haha)

Well, these do appear to have all the characteristics of the Japanese Hop. However, I may plant them and keep a close watch on it this year just in case it's a real hop. Thanks for all the replies and I will post any discoveries in the coming months.

From the plants I've seen, the stems tend to remain very slender and never thicken up like H. Lupulus. Also, the climbing hooks on the H. Japonicus are much more pronounced than on the beer hops. Just keep an eye on it and yank it if it's no good, hope otherwise though!

Back