Corn Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've used table sugar for priming on my first few brews, then read that it could cause some off tastes so I swiched to DME, which I read is not 100% fermentable so I've just ordered a Kilo of corn sugar.

The Guy from the HBS say's that that will brobably be his last batch because the UK manufactures are stoping making it due to lack of demand. Just one more step downwards in poor supplies of brewing stuff in the UK I guess! :(

I use corn sugar to prime my bottles. Its worked out good so far for me. Ive been told that it will give a "cidery" taste to the beer if you dont let it age about 3 weeks before you drink it. I dont have a really good tast for beer yet so I cant really say.

OtherWhiteMeat said:
I use corn sugar to prime my bottles. Its worked out good so far for me. Ive been told that it will give a "cidery" taste to the beer if you dont let it age about 3 weeks before you drink it. I dont have a really good tast for beer yet so I cant really say.

It's cane or beet sugar that causes the cidery taste. Corn sugar is fine for priming.

In fact, a lot of beer recipes call for pounds of corn sugar along with various extracts in the brewing process. They wouldn't do that if there was a big problem with it. Of course there are better substitutes than corn sugar for your fermentables.

Orfy - I'm pretty sure that Corn sugar is just the US name for glucose (also called Dextrose if its being used or made industrially) that has been manufactured from corn starch.

You should be able to get your hands on Glucose no problems in the UK - most of the online stores stock it, I'm pretty sure your LHBS store will too.

80/-

Dextrose (Corn Sugar) also known as glucose is a monosaccharide or simple sugar. For reasons I can only guess at, it is popular with body builders and "natural food" people. Which is really odd since it is made by chemically breaking down corn starches, unlike cane and beet sugars that are natural.

80/- said:
Orfy - I'm pretty sure that Corn sugar is just the US name for glucose (also called Dextrose if its being used or made industrially) that has been manufactured from corn starch.

You should be able to get your hands on Glucose no problems in the UK - most of the online stores stock it, I'm pretty sure your LHBS store will too.

80/-

It's stocked in my Local Supermarket with standard sucrose, fructose, etc.

Back