Problem with my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffjjpkiser1

Reaction score
I completed a half batch of Blueberry Wheat Ale today when I realized that in the midst of everything I was doing (getting my family out of the house and brewing) I accidently added my priming sure to my wort just before pitching the yeast. I don't know what the hell got into my head but I did it and now I'm wondering, what can I do?

As far as I'm concerned I just introduced more sugar for the yeast to eat up but won't this adversly affect the beer?

Since I did a half batch (2.5 gallons), I only added 3/8 cup of priming sugar.

Anyone?

The little bit of sugar will only raise the ABV a little bit, probably wont even be noticable, just get some more priming sugar before you bottle and you will be good to go, :mug:

a touch more alcohol, maybe a bit dryer but I doubt it will be noticeable at all.

Thanks all. Fermentation is going nuts right and it looks good with a thick foam head at the top. Can Irish moss be introduced between fermentation cycles to clear it up a little?

Irish Moss needs to be in the boil. Use gelatin to clear after fermentation. Put about half a teaspoon of gelatin in some water and let 'bloom' for about 30 minutes, then heat to about 170 F (when bubbles start forming in the pan), then add to the fermenter. If you use only a few ounces of water, it's not necessary to cool it. It's the same stuff you buy in the grocery store for making deserts; just make sure it's unflavored.

If you can't get corn sugar, use regular table sugar for bottling. I use it all the time with no problems. I can't understand why everyone says to use the more expensive and harder to find corn sugar for bottling.

Back