Toasting Flaked Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
hey everyone,

So, I know a lot of people toast flaked oat for different purposes, but I was wondering if anyone has much experience with toasting flaked rye. I am making a chocolate rye stout and I have maybe 0.5lb flaked rye in the recipe and I thought about toasting it for the sake of trying it, but I wanted to know if anyone has done this, and if so, what was the flavor profile like?

Thanks
Kyle

A friend toasted some flaked rye for a dark lager we brewed. We used .5 lbs in 10 gallons. Worked well, but added just a subtle toasty flavor. Should be a nice addition to the stout.

I toasted rye malt recently, not flaked, and it was very very rye-ey - to the point my wife started calling it Goat beer! My purpose in relaying this info is to suggest that if you do toast it, watch out you don't toast it too much. For malt at any rate a slight color change can result in a much more roasty/toasty flavor that it would seem.

Good luck!

Steve da sleeve

how long and how hot were you toasting the flaked rye and rye malt? I was going to do about 350F for 45-60min

how long and how hot were you toasting the flaked rye and rye malt? I was going to do about 350F for 45-60min

That is probably too long, ~20 minutes is probably enough, but give it a stir every few minutes until it smells good.

Thanks Oldsock. I will keep that in mind when the ingredients get in...which I ordered today...whoo-hoo lol

Back