100% wheat extract??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamaboy

Reaction score
My first of many posts! :ban:

Can anyone point me toward a source for 100% wheat extract?
I need it for my super secret "banana wheat" :ban: :ban:
Thanks!

I have never seen a 100% wheat extract, sorry, but I have brewed a 100% wheat beer from wheat malt, so it is possible.

I'll let you in on a not so super secret...all beer is sweet...you have to add hops to make it bitter...ergo, using fewer hops makes a sweeter brew...;)

I've been making HWs for 14 years and have never used 100% wheat.

Germans only use 60/40% or 55/45%, but rarely 50/50...never 100%.;)

What's your recipe...we'll take a look and advise you...

homebrewer_99 said:
I'll let you in on a not so super secret...all beer is sweet...you have to add hops to make it bitter...ergo, using fewer hops makes a sweeter brew...;)

I've been making HWs for 14 years and have never used 100% wheat.

Germans only use 60/40% or 55/45%, but rarely 50/50...never 100%.;)

Maybe he is not German? Maybe he is Polish! Hey, I dont think 100% extract exisits... guess it is time to go all grain man. SOunds yummy!

Ireks Weizenbier was the only 100% wheat extract & I don't believe it's available any more.

Hey was wondering if there is some sort of substitute for the 'Ireks Weizenbier' since it is no longer on the market. Thanks a bunch!!

Searched around for a good while, but couldn't find anything but partial mix extracts and the odd forum thread asking what happened to Ireks. Doesn't look good for 100%. I also read that you can't steep wheat grain for flavor/color (due to enzymes and such), so I don't know what to tell ya. :(

I believe malted wheat cannot convert itself, so it's impossible to have a 100% wheat brew. Most wheat extracts are 65% Wheat/35% Base malt. Hefeweizens are brewed using the same ratio of wheat to base.

I believe malted wheat cannot convert itself, so it's impossible to have a 100% wheat brew. Most wheat extracts are 65% Wheat/35% Base malt. Hefeweizens are brewed using the same ratio of wheat to base.

Malted wheat has plenty of diastic power and can convert itself. It can even convert some adjuncts. Google "wheat wines" as many are 100% wheat.

The problem is that wheat has no husk, so mashing/lautering 100% wheat is a huge PITA. On the homebrew or even craft level, it is feasible as you can add a bunch of rice hulls. But, on the level that is producing malt extract, I cannot see it being a financially viable option as it would be for such a small market because, as above, most wheat beers are a blend (60/40, 50/50).

alright thats what i expected to hear haha! ...should i just get a light malt extract or light dry extract or extra light instead?

What are you trying to make? I would probably go with one of the quality wheat extracts. Or, find a friend that can mash a bunch of wheat for you.

Basic Brewing Radio did a video podcast (April 15, 2010) on a 100% wheat beer (all-grain) brewed with the brew-in-a-bag method. As mentioned before, malted wheat does have enough diastatic power to mash a 100% malted wheat grist but, the brew-in-a-bag method alleviates the tricky lautering situation. They didn't do a tutorial on the brewing method, but you could find enough info on it here on HBT.

Back