Online square steel tubing source ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I know I recently saw an affordable source on HBT for square steel tube, but darned if I can find it know. Any know of a cheap source?

I don't have an online source for you, but I think generally your cheapest source for steel is going to be a local steel supplier. Steel is heavy and shipping is expensive, so if you just buy locally and drive there yourself to pick up the order, that's going to be the cheapest route.

+1 to Reese. I was looking at 1" square 16 gauge tubing earlier today that was only $10.65 a piece; however, that is for full length stock that runs about 20 feet. Have them cut it in half and they want an additional $4 on top of some spendy shipping. I would be like Reese and find a local vendor who may be nice and chop it for free so as to fit it in your truck.

Pickles, you can try salvage yards in Columbus area. If you have a list I may be able to help. I work in the welding industry, I make sales calls @ a number of fabrication shops.

Nope I don't have a list. I did a quick search last night and couldn't find anything. I'll look today. The link I saw had steel super cheap, no minimum and shipping reasonable to a business. I thought I'd have it shipped to work and save me the hassle.

I just tried looking on yellowpages.com and a general google search for local steel distributors, but the few I found are large volume. Anyone know of a local steel yard in Columbus that would sell approx 20' of 1"x1" steel?

If your not looking for that much material you can try a fabrication shop I can give you a couple and contacts if you are interested. They usually have a good selection of steel on hand left over from completed jobs.

Most of the central Ohio shops get their steel from:

Alro Steel

Benjamin Steel

Cheers....

hey, ive been shopping heavily. i called a place in tx and am waiting for a reply on shipping. They quoted me $206 for 40 feet of stainless steel 1 x 1 x 1/8, with standard cuts +/- 1/8". Shipping should be around $40.

www.allmetalsinc.com is cheaper than www.onlinemetals.com, and shipping for my specifications was $26.

i was going to go good old original hot rolled steel, but cost of powder coating 40 feet of steel would have been around $150. So, for $50-$90 more i am getting stainless steel.

Back