Is it to late to start a Christmas brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkocher13

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good recipe for a christmas brew. Currently I've got Yuri's Thunderstruck pumpkin ale in a secondary for thanksgiving, so I'm looking for something a little different. Anybody have any good suggestions?

The spice ale in my profile is a hit around Christmas time. Took 3rd place at the local homebrew competition also. I like to vary the spices I add year to year, but I tend to keep it to vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.

I'm looking for something a little heavier, maybe 1.060. I'm ready to move on from the lighter summer brews.

For a 1.060 gravity beer, you should have plenty of time. We still have three months before Christmas. Just throwing numbers out there, you're probably talking a month in the fermentor and then 2 months of bottle conditioning and your beer should turn out beautiful.

Yeah, 1.060 is certainly no problem. Some people make them quite a bit heavier; if going above, say, 1.080 (or something like that -- I can't be precise here), it would take dramatically longer to condition nicely and might not be ready on time. Some people like to make their holiday ales quite heavy. However, something like that would be just fine.

I've got one setting right now that I brewed up on the first of the month. I missed my gravity a bit. Was supposed to be 1.050 and I only hit 1.042 but it bubbled away nicely. I'll give it a month or maybe six weeks and then bottle so I can give them out as Christmas presents.

Back