Blending beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehouse

Reaction score
Has anyone here ever brewed two beers & blended them to achieve a different taste like people do with wine?

I do this frequently to consolidate kegs by combining two partially full kegs thereby freeing up space in the keezer and giving me an empty keg.

While I never really plan this, usually the resultant keg will be balanced nicely.

Actually...Blending beers is pretty common, both in fermenters and in the glass...In fact there's at least one brewpub in the country that specializes in beer blending.

Plus it is pretty common to blend beers in oak barrels or other fermenters. Especially if you have a batch that is "too something" and you want to mellow it out.

one of the last basic brewing podcasts of last years was on that very topic.

]December 4, 2008 - Beer Blending Experiment
Michael Tonsmeire, The Mad Fermentationist, leads James, Steve, and Andy through an exercise of blending beers together to create better ones.

Clicky- http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-04-08blending.mp3

Here's a good article on it as well...BT - Blending and the Art of Salvage

And a thread from down below in the similar threads box https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/blending-beers-65908/

Oh yea then there's all the drinks like black and tans that are blended beer drinks..

Blending beers into masterpieces and cocktails

And here.

The Spirit World - » Beer Blending 101 - Finessing the Barleywines

Plus there's a bunch of thread sin the "similar threads" box below.

:mug:

Porter was originally a blended beer. I mix mine occasionally. At one point I was thinking about brewing a beer/cider mix. One blended pint of what I had on tap killed that idea.

Thanks for all the input escp the links Revvy. I am going to study up. I have a brew that is not really ready but so far my taste test reveals an unbalanced taste so I am thinking of blending it, I will def wait awhile as it is not even fully carbed (bottle conditionig) so the taste may def change. Just thinking ahead.

Back