Sanyo 4912 troubles: temp issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seawolf

Reaction score
I just converted my Sanyo 4912 into a kegerator on Monday, and put two full kegs in on Tuesday. I set my Ranco temp controller to 38F and it's been running constantly for 2 days, and won't get below 42F. Is this because there's no air circulation inside? Or because I put so much into the mini fridge at once, and it's trying to catch up? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!

Seawolf

Hmm, sure you used enough insulation where you attached the tower? My Sanyo will go to freezing temps just by turning the dial to max. I never really found the need for a temp controller. But if you want to be very exact about the temp then i guess it would be useful.

Is it inside or in the garage? What was the temp of the kegs when you put them in?

You either are having fridge problems or you have air leaking somewhere - it shouldn't take that long to get to temp and being totally full with 2 kegs it should be really stable.

Hmm, sure you used enough insulation where you attached the tower? My Sanyo will go to freezing temps just by turning the dial to max. I never really found the need for a temp controller. But if you want to be very exact about the temp then i guess it would be useful.

+1..I don't have a temp controller or insulation and my Sanyo gets very cold.

Is your + or - variation set to the default of 5 degrees? Thought maybe that was it because of the 4 degree diff. I guess that wouldn't explain why it is running constantly, though. I just got one, and its been hanging at the top of the +5 in my soon-to-be converted keezer.

Did you remove the door panel? Make sure the door gaskets are in place. I have a digital temp controller for mine and I've gotten that bad boy down to freezing.

I came home from work today, and my temp controller and internal digital thermometer are two tenths apart, and reading 40F. Works for me!

The gasket is in place.

My differential setting is +/-1

The temp seems to have leveled out. It must have been too much for the fridge to handle all at once; putting two warmish kegs in at the same time. I think a small fan would work wonders in that fridge. Maybe I'll install two. One for the tower, and one for the rest of the fridge.

Back