Transferring BS files to network drive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteup

Reaction score
Is it as simple as cut&paste from My Documents folder to a folder on the network drive? And should I overwrite my program files on the laptop with the files from my PC. Here's what I'd like to do. Work on recipes and such at PC but use laptop on brewing days or in my brew cave.

One word, well two words crammed into one really. Dropbox. You have a folder on both computers that magically has all the same files, and when you update a file on one pc/laptop, it is magically updated on the other pc/laptop. Freaking cool software (and no, I don't work for them, and yeah, it's free for 5GB). There are others that attempt to do this, but I have had sync issues with all but Dropbox. Dropbox just works.

anteup said:
Is it as simple as cut&paste from My Documents folder to a folder on the network drive? And should I overwrite my program files on the laptop with the files from my PC. Here's what I'd like to do. Work on recipes and such at PC but use laptop on brewing days or in my brew cave.

I also use Dropbox and love it, but a network share should work even better.

In essence, if you're going to use Computer A, Computer B, and Network Folder C, here's how I did mine, with my recipes on A, and B was a new install:

1. Install the software on both computers.
2. On Computer A, use Beersmith's Change Documents Directory function to move the data on A to C. Close Beersmith.
3. Make a copy of C and put it in a temporary location.
4. On Computer B, use Beersmith's Change Documents Directory function to export the data on B to C. Close Beersmith.
5. Copy the copy of C from its temporary location back to C. The temporary data can be safely deleted once you confirm that both computers are pulling the correct data.

It is of the utmost importance that you do not have Beersmith open on both computers simultaneously, ever. Otherwise, the data files could become corrupted, or you might also see old data overwriting new.

You do not need to copy any data from the Program Data folder.

Thanks but. I can't seem to find the Change Documents Directory function. I'm using version 2.1

Thanks but. I can't seem to find the Change Documents Directory function. I'm using version 2.1

Menu item "File | Change Documents Directory"

Works exactly as previous poster said. Very important to not have BrewSmith open on both computers at the same time.

Back